108852 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

RAID in DL320 G4

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joan_21
Occasional Contributor

RAID in DL320 G4

I've been trying to install Suse Linux 10.0 (donno the version, but in the box says only Suse Linux 10.0) to an Hp Proliant DL320 G4. The problem comes when I want to use RAID 1 in two 80Gb discs.
Even thought that in the Bios I can configure the raid properly, when I start the installation, it recognizes two discs instead of one.
The driver it loads automatically is the ahci, here (http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html#intel-ich7) says it's supported.

Any help apreciatted
4 REPLIES 4
sgunelius
Trusted Contributor

Re: RAID in DL320 G4

If you're using the integrated SATA controller, that should support RAID1. Do you have the latest firmware installed for the server (http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/25164.html), because this latest version does list an update for the embedded Adaptec Software RAID firmware.

Scott
WiVM
Occasional Contributor

I had the same problem while installing Windows 2003. I had to load the driver with F6 during setup. Also SmartStart is not supported. I do not know how this should work with Linux but maybe it helps.
Joan_21
Occasional Contributor

I'll try to check the firmware version, the server is quite recent so it should be up to date, but since i cannot upgrade it from linux it is not a valid option for me.
In any case what would be more important to me would be to know success histories with the RAID and to know wich driver where the people using.

Oleg Mochkin
Trusted Contributor
Solution

This is because HP embedded 2 Port SATA Controller with RAID 0/1 build on Adaptec HostRAID(TM) technology. HostRAID is _SOFTWARE_ RAID. If your OS don't have proper driver then you will see separate disks insted single RAID. (some software functions performs by driver). So you can do software RAID with Linux (md(4))- this is the same as with HostRAID driver.