1757000 Members
2345 Online
108858 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RE: Drive recovery

Nira Sathananthan

RE: Drive recovery

Hi,

I am a junior IT support analyst for my company and recently the HP Proliant server of the network, hosting the company shared folder on Windows 2000 platform is not booting up. We attempted to do a drive recovery on the raided drives that was impossible since we have no idea on how the controllers are set up. I know a SmartStart CD is needed to re-configure the RAID controllers, but we don't have one. Is there any alternative besides the CD to boot the drive and recover folder?
5 REPLIES 5
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello,
I am quite confused what you exactly need.
- reconfigure array?
- find out configuration?

what server do you have?

Jan
cnb
Honored Contributor

Take a look at the SmartStart support matrix to find out what versions your Proliant model supports:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/c-products/servers/management/smartstart/serversupportguide8.50.pdf

Once you know which Proliant Model and O/S you have, you can download SmartStart here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=344318тМй=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=345557&taskId=135

You'll need to know if the system is using 32 or 64 bit O/S and the 32 or 64 bit version of SmartStart.

Use the Array Configuration Utility (ACU) and Array Diagnostic Utility (ADU) to configure and check your array status.

Rgds,

Proliant Watch
Valued Contributor

You can boot the server to ORCA(BIOS of controller) by pressing F8 at boot and configure array and raid. Also can use smart start CD to configure Raid
wobbe
Respected Contributor

Do you want to reinstall or try and rescue the data on the server?

When you boot up the server does it still find any logical drives?
If still find logical drives you can try to boot from a linux rescue cdrom and copy the data to another harddisk.
Nira Sathananthan

Thank you all so much for the responses!. Apparently, there was on issue with the RAID controller, all we had to do was a cold boot and execute "chkdsk" to repair the corrupt boot sector.

Yes it would worthwhile having a Linux rescue CD!

Thanks a lot

Nira