ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1754229 Members
3584 Online
108812 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Reinstall W2K on DL380

Gerhard Ottmann

Reinstall W2K on DL380

Hi, I have to reinstall w2k on Raid 5 file server (3 HDD) DL380. Is there any risk to loss data on "D: E: partitions" which contains networks shares? Regards Gerhard
7 REPLIES 7
njia_1
Trusted Contributor

Re: Reinstall W2K on DL380

Hi Gerhard

If you don't modify your raid configuration and don't format those partition/LVs then it should be OK, however do a backup before you start.

thanks
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

I would also recommend not deleting the existing partition where Windows resides. If you do that, sintead of just reformatting the exhisting partition it may cause the other partitions to be "relettered" (D will become C and so on).
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Gerhard Ottmann

Thanks for quick reply. Do I have to boot from the smarstart CD or from the w2k3 CD?
As mentioned D and E is used for file sharing - will the sharing and file permissions remain on D and E drive?
Regards Gerhard
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

The D and E partitions are local correct? If so, I would recommend not using the Smart Start CD for the install. This is normally intended for a new install, not a reinstall which requires keeping the existing data.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Gerhard Ottmann

Yes, D and E are local partitions and C will be used to reinstall the OS. I don`t want to keep existing data on C partition, I need a clean/fresh setup of the OS but keep the data on D/E partitions. I assume w2k3 setup will detect an existing OS and I have to "continue copying a fresh copy of.." into the existing C partition. If I go this way, is it a real clean install or an additional setup of the OS?
njia_1
Trusted Contributor

Hi Gerhard

Win server will detect the existing OS on C: but all you need to do is to format C drive and start a new install, that will be an fresh and clean installation

thanks
wobbe
Respected Contributor

I agree with Terry don't use smartstart. Do a normal windows installation and then load the proliant support pack. Using the latest psp I would also recommend a firmware upgrade.

If you have a spare harddisks you could do a smartstart install on that and then clone the installation. But a normall install plus psp will give you the same result.