4350 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SCSI-2 / SCSI-3 compatibility

Robin Bowes
Occasional Advisor

SCSI-2 / SCSI-3 compatibility

Hi,

I have a few UW SCSI-3 drives kicking around which I would like to use (P/N 339506-B21
Replace with Compaq Spare 4.3GB WU [339514-001]) These have 68-pin female connectors.

I've recently picked up a Proliant Storage Array which is labelled as supporting "Fast Wide SCSI-2". It contains 1GB drives in hot-pluggable caddies ("Replace with compaq Spare 146763-001") which have 50-pin female connectors.

Also, I've got an old Prosignia server with a Smart 2/P RAID controller in it.

What I'd like to know is if I can use the 4.3Gb drives in the caddies by simply using a 68-pin - 50-pin adapter?

Are there any issues with termination I need to consider?

Or will it just not work??!!!

Thanks,

R.
4 REPLIES 4
Greg Robison
Advisor

Re: SCSI-2 / SCSI-3 compatibility

This would not be a supported configuration. But the good news is that you might be able to get a drive cage for the 4.3 GB drives. The Smart 2-p will do the job just fine.
Please reply with more information on the Storage array and a option number can be obtained that will get the job done for you.

Greg Robison
Just another day in Paradise!
Robin Bowes
Occasional Advisor

Greg,

Thanks for the reply.

Can you clarify: what does "this would not be support a supported configuration" mean? I'm not looking for formal support - this is for a Linux box at home! I just want to know if it will work at all.

Anyway, here are more details of the storage array.

On the back, I can see the following relevant numbering:

Series 3092
212053-004 S2

Thanks,

R.
Robin Bowes
Occasional Advisor

Greg,

Any further information you can give me?

Thanks,

R.
Ross Pettibone
Occasional Advisor

I too have an old Prosignia server but without the Smart 2 controller. Let me know if you want to sell it to me - is it PCI or EISA?(prosig 300). I've got the Seagate Barracuda drives similar to yours - 50 pin drives but these have the male pins sticking out from the back of the drive. I've seen a barracuda drive with the female connector (used 2GB for 100.00 Cdn. too high) and assume that's what you have.

An old guy I talked to said it would work - and if you have the cabling - i'd simply try it and see if the drives work!! Ahh the beauty of SCSI. You just need some 68 to 50 adapters - your best bet is to find an old guy that was around when SCSI-2 was hot!! He was about 50 - I'm about 40. Dinosaurs in this fast paced world I know!!
Remember where you came from