1754190 Members
4295 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SCSI error

Tracey_9
Occasional Advisor

SCSI error

My backup keeps failing with I/O errors. When I check the event log on my ML530 it has a lot of entires saying -

'A Parity error was detected on \device\scsi\CPQ32fs22'

another error which came up was -

'The device detected a controller error'

What does this mean???? I have just changed the SCSI cable to see if that helps.
4 REPLIES 4
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Re: SCSI error

Hello Tracey,
Please try updating the Support Pack by going to the HP web site. Here is the link to download the support paq. Please make sure you download the SW which pertains to your server and OS specific.

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/20_1117.html

Regards,
Cody Payne

I am getting the same error after upgrading from Win2K Server SP2 to SP4. I have installed the latest HP Cluster Patch and upgraded the Flash on the Compaq StorageWorks TL891....Now the Veritas BackUp Exec does not see the drive any longer..yet in the Windows Device Manager it is there.
Cody Payne

I am getting the same error after upgrading from Win2K Server SP2 to SP4. I have installed the latest HP Cluster Patch and upgraded the Flash on the Compaq StorageWorks TL891....Now the Veritas BackUp Exec does not see the drive any longer..yet in the Windows Device Manager it is there.
Russ Givens_2
Occasional Contributor

I get the same error on my ML530. It's Windows 2000 Server SP3, with Veritas Backup Exec 8.6, and a HP 160/320 SDLT1 tape drive. HP's replaced the tape drive twice, the motherboard once, I've updated all kinds of drivers for the tape drive, scsi controller, and applied the latest support packs, uninstalled and reinstalled Backup Exec, and still the error appears. After the drive was replaced the first time the backups worked fine for about 3 or 4 months then the errors started happening again and the backups would fail. They replaced the drive again and the backups worked for about two weeks without any errors and then the errors returned and the backups failed. Then hp came out and replaced the motherboard because the scsi controller is builtin and applied the latest support pack and it worked fine for about two weeks. Now the errors are starting up again and I'm expecting the backup jobs to start failing again. What's the deal with this error.