108860 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Setting up old prolient servers

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Denver
Advisor

Setting up old prolient servers

I bought a couple of old prolient servers (one is 3000 and one is a 5500). They have dual pentium III 550mhz processors.

They both came without hard drives (SCSI) and not configured. I bought 3 hard drives for the 5500 and am trying to get the server to run so I can install my operating system.

Right now, when I boot, it checks the RAM and says:

Slot 7 COMPAQ Smart Array 3200 Controller - 0 Logical Drives

1785 - Slot 7 drives array not configured. Run COMPAQ Array Configuration Utitilty

Scanning for the SCSI Devices... No SCSI devices detected.

F1 key to continue
F10 key for system partition utilities

If I press F10, I get

System Disk Error or Non system disk. Replace disk and press Enter

If I put the Smart Start 5.5 disk in the CDROM and press F1 I get:

SmartStart does not support deployment for this server. Consult the support matrix on the Smart Start website at www.hp.com/servers/smartstart for a complete list of supported servers.

What do I need to do to get this thing going?
16 REPLIES 16
Van Cotoco
Advisor
Solution

Hi Matt:

You may use a Windows 95/NT/2000 PC to create the Array Configuration Utility diskettes.

Insert the SMARTSTART CD into the CD-ROM drive, execute the Diskette Builder.
This is located in :\DSKBLDR\DSKBLDR.EXE

I'm quoting this based on Compaq SmartStart Rel. 5.20. It should be similar for 5.5.
You should see the instructions at the back of the CD envelop.

After you have created the diskettes, boot the server using the ACU diskette and define the logical volumes on the SMART Array Controller.

Regards,

Van
John Denver
Advisor

Thanks! I will try that tommarrow!!
John Denver
Advisor

I don't have that application in my Smart Start CD. I downloaded the CD image from HP.com so I don't have the CD jacket.

The Smart Start 5.5 CD seems to be a utility to help install an OS. I need to configure the drives.

Anyone know the first step?
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Matt, SmartStart 5.50 works fine on Proliant 5500 and Proliant 3000 servers.
See "HP retired servers" part
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/cd_supportinfo/ServerSupportMatrix.pdf
But you wrote "If I put the Smart Start 5.5 disk in the CDROM and press F1 I get....".
Maybe your problem here, try to put SmartStart 5.50 CD and do "cold" restart of the server (i.e. power on server when SmartStart CD inside).
John Denver
Advisor

I have tried booting the server with the CD in the drive from the get-go. No luck there. Thanks for the idea.
David Graham_8
Advisor

The smart start 4.9 or 5.1/5.2 should support the 5500.

Did you have somewhere for me to upload the ISO image for you?
Van Cotoco
Advisor

You may download the Array Configuration Utility from HP at the following URL:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/23025.html

Or you may browse www.hp.com, go to software and drivers, then enter "Array Configuration Utility" in the Search field.

John Denver
Advisor

Thanks for the links. I appreciate your offer to upload the ISO. I will try downloading the Array Config. utility, and if that doesn't work, I would be interested in downloading your ISO. Thanks!
John Denver
Advisor

That Array Config utility is web based. I cannot even get the server to load an OS!! Can you please load that ISO? Thank you.