3373 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Strange events from hpqilo2

Matthias Zahn_1
Advisor

Hi,

HP support advised me to downgrade the "HP ProLiant Integrated Lights-Out Management Interface Driver for Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition" to version 1.8.3790.0 .

This won't help. I had already updated the array firmware to 1.82 .

Should I try the ILO2 driver ?

-Zahni
James Kennedy_4
Trusted Contributor

Yeah, it's the iLO2 Management driver, here's the x64 version you need:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=3709945&prodSeriesId=3621769&prodNameId=3621782&swEnvOID=1113&swLang=8&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-03c99c6a52a047d0bf38df0331&mode=3

I've fixed about 25 of my servers/blades with this. Anything with an iLO2. You sometimes need a reboot for the driver to take full effect, but should resolve your problem.
Matthias Zahn_1
Advisor

Hi,

the duplicate sensor messages are went away.

But, I still found this messages
one times over the night:

GetDeviceID failed: 0x0
Failed GET SENSOR READING, sensor 5
NetFN 0x4, command 0x2D timed out
NetFN 0x36, command 0x2 timed out

StevenH_1
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

After downgrading the HP Proliant iLO2 Management Controller Driver for Windows Server 2003 to version 1.8. and disabling ASR ( just in case), all HPQILO2 errors stopped...a least for now and it's been two days so far!
Mark Kozlowski

We setup two fresh DL380 G5's with Windows 2003 and PSP 8.20 on it, and started receiving hpqilo2 errors with a few ASR's. With PSP 8.11, the issue went away but I wanted to try different iLO Management driver versions on PSP 8.20 after reading this thread. Here is what I found.

hpqilo2 errors, contrary to some people's experience in this thread

hpqilo2 errors, this is the version that came with PSP 8.20

Issue appears to be resolved.

I think I will still keep ASR disabled for a while just in case but it looks to be ok so far.
Jim Miller
Frequent Advisor

Just wanted to add that after trying ilo2 driver version 1.11 on 2003 and 2008 x64 servers (BL460c G5) ASR reboots still continued. Systems have been rolled back to ilo2 driver 1.80 and fingers are crossed. I have to put these systems in production next week.
Mark_120
Advisor

Hi,
I have just completed migrating a few Netware (6.5 SP7) servers to new DL380 G5 hardware and PSP 8.10a
All are firmware patched to 8.40

Two of my servers keep rebooting for no aparent reason at all. Insight Manager indicates watchdog timer has triggered.

While the rest of my servers give me power management in iLo (power capping and power graphing) Both these two servers that keep rebooting do not give me any power management capabilities. I wonder if there is any correlation?
I am at my wits end as both these two servers are mission critical, so any info or advice will be gladly accepted.
I have disabled ASR but still had two reboots today.
Oh - and both times when I went to look at them the servers were sitting at the dos prompt saying "command.com not found and something about a memory error".
A ctrl-alt-del rebooted back up fine again.

Mark
mjoyce4
Occasional Advisor

I applied PSP8.20A to DL385 g2's and DL385 g2 and most reboot from ASR after update. I backed 585 iLO 2 Management Controller Driver down from 1.11 to 1.8 manually. No prompt for reboot. Server rebooted again from ASR one day later, but keep in mind was not rebooted after driver change. I'll update if this is stable after reboot..... Note: PSP applied to DL585 G1 which has a different iLO (not iLO2) and appear to be stable. No issues with ASR on the older machines.
mdelorie
Occasional Advisor

Just to add my name to the list of people having trouble - I'm having the same issue. DL380 G5, W2003 R2 x86, SP2

I just brought all my HP software up to date. See attached PDF for current inventory. I'll report back in a couple days on my results.
Chris Ciapala
Trusted Contributor

I got this from HP support:
SOLUTION:
Work around -

1. It is recommended to force downgrade the psp to 8.15

2. Or downgrade the ILO Management Controller driver to 1.80 ,SMH version to 2.1.15.210 and HP Insight Management agents to 8.15, which are part of PSP 8.15 by force degrade.

Since I didn't liked it, they told me that problem will be escalated and real solution (driver upgrade) will be developed, however there is no way to tell when this will happen. Problem occurs only on 64 bit machines and ASR reboots might happen as the problems are caused by wrong reading from sensors.
Just FYI.