ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1754155 Members
3046 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Swapping RAID disks to different controller / failed cache or battery (HP ProLiant DL380P Gen8)

MarkGerrard
Occasional Contributor

Swapping RAID disks to different controller / failed cache or battery (HP ProLiant DL380P Gen8)

Hi,

I've got a HP ProLiant DL380P Gen8 with an embedded Smart Array P420i with Fatal Error CACHE STATUS PROBLEM DETECTED and an Warning that the cache module batteries / capacitors are failed. The cache on that controller is 2GB and has 8 disks attached to it in RAID 10. 

Whilst showing as a Fatal Error the Data Array / Disks are still showing and usable in the server.

I am due to go on holiday on Tuesday for a week so not got time for spare parts but I do have a Smart Array P420 with 1GB cache that is already installed in the server with no disks ever being attached to it. If I powered down the server and swapped the disk cage cables to this spare controller would the RAID array be intact (I obviously would prefer not to lose it even though have backups / redunancy for the data etc...).

I can't remember how the cables from cages to array work if they are just one or two and would the order need to be maintained to the other controller or would it not matter. 

If this operation would lose data then I may leave it till I can replace the battery and cache on the existing controller. In my mind it should work as all information about the RAID array is stored on the disks and not the controller?

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

7 REPLIES 7
Ihaqueit
Trusted Contributor

Re: Swapping RAID disks to different controller / failed cache or battery (HP ProLiant DL380P Gen8)

Call HPE support.

Most of the times the replacement of the SSB (battery) will solve the issue.

I Haq
Ihaqueit
Trusted Contributor

Replace the SS battery first, if the problem persists, you need to replace the control card. because the cache module is embedded.

I Haq
MarkGerrard
Occasional Contributor

It's prob out of support. I've got a spare controller card already installed in server if I just swap the disk cages to that will RAID array be intact?

Thanks

MarkGerrard
Occasional Contributor

I assume it will probably be fine to swap controllers as per this link https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/Replace-P400-raid-card-with-P800/td-p/4502289#.YPlH5pNKjuU as I'm only going from P420i to P421?

Ihaqueit
Trusted Contributor

Installed the new card and swapped the drives over and it worked perfectly.
It booted up no problem and kept the exact same configuration and retained all the data

I Haq
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

I would suggest you do not replace the hard disks in another controller because that controller has only 1 GB of cache and you don’t have the data backup. So I request you replace the faulty components.

Yes, raid configuration saves in the hard disks.

As well as suggest you update the controller firmware with the latest.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below and accept the solution.
Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You may consider to just move the cache module and the supercap from one controller to the other.
It would also work to connect the cables to your spare controller.
You probably need to adjust the boot order.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!