1754060 Members
4137 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: To Smartstart or not

Norman Dignard
Regular Advisor

To Smartstart or not

We have a little internal dispute on setting up a DL580G7 with Windows 2003R2 64bit.
This server is going to be a db/midtier server.

The debate we are having is whether or not to install the OS via HP's SmartStart route or not.

Can someone enlighten me on what advantages and/or disadvantages Smartsmart brings to the table?

My counter part is totally against it. (Mind you he's all pro for Microsoft and tends not to step outside the box).

Any comments?
4 REPLIES 4
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Since Windows 2003R2 came out prior to the release of G7 and doesn't have drivers integrated into the install media for current hardware, not using SmartStart means messing with driver disks during installation.

SmartStart will guide you through the setup of the hardware, launch the Windows install and do a silent install of the ProLiant Support Pack. It's all designed to make installation of Windows easier.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

I usually try smart start first. To get the drivers installed. Otherwise, download all the drivers and install them after Windows is done. I don't use the Windows drivers on servers. So get the HP drivers. if your hardware does not have 2003 64-bit drivers, replace hardware.
Trygve Henriksen
Respected Contributor

No doubt!

Run SmartStart!

Especially if you have a domain structure or AD, because you may not get the network installed, and as we all know, Win2K3 install just skips ASKING you to supply drivers if it can't find a network card by itself. You will need to install drivers and manually add it to the domain later.
And that's just ONE of the many annoyances that SmartStart saves you from.
Norman Dignard
Regular Advisor

Aside from drivers is there any other benefit? I was thinking along the lines of the other HP installed apps the SMartstart installs.

So far other than the potential in saving a bit of time in installing drivers and NIC setup, something admins do routininely in any windows setup, I haven't heard of any compelling advantages.