108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: What are the implications to clearing NVRAM

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bstuart
Occasional Contributor

What are the implications to clearing NVRAM

I have an DL380 G4 and support has asked me to clear the NVRAM to troubleshoot a problem with a errors related to pci hardware that has been removed from the system. What are the implications to doing so? What is it going to do to the machine? The machine is a production email server.
7 REPLIES 7
MT19
Valued Contributor
Solution

It'll clear resolved errors that are still being stored in a cache. As a precaution, you can unseat the hard drives when you clear the nvram to prevent the possiblity of datat lost, but I've never had a problem clearing the nvram with the hard drives in place.
Bstuart
Occasional Contributor

And it won't cause devices to be found again or anything like that?
MT19
Valued Contributor

Nope
MT19
Valued Contributor

I know it's scary...I was afraid too when Support told me to do it for the first time five years ago
MT19
Valued Contributor

The only thing you'll probably have to do afterwards is reconfigure the date/time and what OS the server is running on in the BIOS.
Bstuart
Occasional Contributor

So as MT described, it seemed to work as desired... Although it did not resolve my issue. I am recieving errors from the axl300 ssl accelerator card which was removed some time ago once HP stopped supporting it on wndows 2003. they are EventID 100 source atmwms and atldm. They report that they can't find the pci card... The software was properly uninstalled, the services were removed, and the hardware was uninstalled from device manager... Something on this box still thinks they are installed?
Jamie Craig
Occasional Contributor

It is also advised to hit F9 on post to get into the bios and check the boot controller order and make sure the array controller attached to the hard drives is set to #1...all others can be 2,3,4 and so on.