ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1757302 Members
3155 Online
108860 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Windows 7 on Proliant ML110 G5

dfmatt

Windows 7 on Proliant ML110 G5

I am trying to install Windows 7 RTM on a Proliant ML110 G5.

I have tried it both with and without the onboard RAID enabled.

With onboard raid enabled if I load the server 2008 driver setup sees the disk, but tells me that Windows cannot be installed onto the disk. The error code is 0x80300001.

With onboard raid disabled the setup doesn't see any disks.

Does anyone know how I can get Windows 7 to install on a Proliant ML110 G5?
8 REPLIES 8

Hello,

I cant really help you with the driver but it is not recommended at all to run w7 on this server as it is not supported. If you do, it means you wont be able to get any help from HP support if you run into problems in the future.

/Joakim HP support
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary, is that little extra.
dfmatt

I managed to install Windows 7 using the following method.

First I installed Windows Vista. It still showed no disks when I didn't have raid enabled, but with onboard raid enabled and using the Windows Server 2008 drivers it saw the disk and was able to install it.

Once Vista was installed I was able to upgrade it to Windows 7.

The only problem I now have is that I can't get Aero to work. Has anyone managed to do this in Vista? And if so how?

Also, I suspect that if HP release a Server 2008 R2 driver for the raid this will let you do a regular install of Windows 7 without needing to worry about upgrading using that driver.
u84823
Regular Advisor

The machine lacks the hardware 3D stuff that's needed to provide Aero I would have thought.

Re HP support - lol at that, it's next to useless anyway (for example, there are still known bad drivers for ML115G5 chipset available for download).
blouis79
Advisor

(Obviously late for the initial question, but for anyone else...) Windows 7 works for me where Linux (openSUSE) didn't like my peripherals - sound; wireless.

I initially wanted network storage and have tweaked the machine into a low cost media centre.

Windows 7 seems a bit unfriendly when there is more than one hard drive.

Haven't been able to find a RAID driver that works (and not sure its work bothering for fakeraid anyway).

I had to use bootrec (via Windows 7 install disk>Repair>command line) and a few switches to repair bootability on the otherwise clean drive I was intending to use for Windows 7. See:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us

After a lot of fiddling around and false starts, Windows 7 has installed and runs fine. I think I used linux to format the drive as FAT, then bootrec, then installed Windows 7.

I have an EVGA (Nvidia) 8400GS PCI card for graphics and upgraded the CPU to E8400 Core2Duo to get XP mode support. Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme. 3x1TB disks +original 16GB. Bluray burner. Performance is borderline for HDTV (AverTV USB) - quite watchable but not stellar - marginally jerky on a scrolling tickertape. Graphics performance seems fine otherwise. Hoping live TV might be better with RAID storage.

Still trying to find out if Intel Matric Storage Manager might work on the ICH9 chipset. No luck so far...
http://drnathan.teamhackaday.com/2009/09/02/follow-up-a-new-method-to-enable-intel-ich-raid-after-installing-windows-plus-updates-to-the-original/
blouis79
Advisor

It looks like the video issues were related to codecs and not hardware. Much better with codecs from
http://shark007.net/
blouis79
Advisor

Latest MS updates seem to fix my video playback issues. Happy now.
nick henderson

Ive just done this and it works ok, though i did have some problems with black screens at start up - update bios and firmware management thing
luchito1234

very good