ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753519 Members
4928 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Windows Server 2008 does not recognize new 1 TB disks, but embedded raid controller did.

Klamauck
Visitor

Windows Server 2008 does not recognize new 1 TB disks, but embedded raid controller did.

Hi all,

I have a HP proliant ml310 g5 server with two 250 GB sata disks (raid1 – embedded raid controller). More free disk space is required. So I added two 1 TB SATA hotadd disks. In the embedded raid controller bios I configured also a raid 1. But my problem is now that Windows Server 2008 does not show me any new disk. Not even the HP Storage Manager shows me a new disk!

I updated all drivers and firmware with current SPP. I tried also a other HP disks, but with no success.

Has anyone a tipp for me?

Thank you in advance.

Best wishes

Klamauck

8 REPLIES 8
RbBsmn
Regular Advisor

Re: Windows Server 2008 does not recognize new 1 TB disks, but embedded raid controller did.

Is it a HP branded hard drive?
Did my post help? Thank me with kudo's! :)
Klamauck
Visitor

Re: Windows Server 2008 does not recognize new 1 TB disks, but embedded raid controller did.

Yes of course. Original Option pack

RbBsmn
Regular Advisor

Ok, thats good.
Saw in the quickspecs that for 3G SATA drives a BIOS update is required. But as you used the latest SPP I assume this has already been installed.

Also I saw that you can use up to 4 SATA drives, but it doesn't say anything about the amount of logical drives that are possible. Maybe someone else was able to find out if this might be an issue (I don't think it should be) just to be sure?

Also could you upload an ADU report and Advanced Offline Survey (view level = advanced, categories = all) so we can check if we see anything strange in there?

Just to be sure the drives are connected properly, have you tried reseating the drives?

Klamauck
Visitor

Hi RbBsmn,

the ADU report doesn't make sense, bacause the "HP Array Configuration Utility" showing no disks of the HP embedded raid controllers. :-(

The other report can take while, because I need a downtime to run the smart cd diagnostic report.

Thank you very much for help. I appreciate it.

Klamauck

RbBsmn
Regular Advisor

I wanted the ADU report to check for busfaults, fw levels, etc.
Does it not show the 2 original disks either?
waaronb
Respected Contributor

Have you tried rebooting it since you added the 2 extra drives? Is the array controller seeing the drives during startup?

It sounded like the array controller was able to see the drives since you mentioned creating a RAID 1 array on there. Sometimes Windows disk manager needs you to do a "Rescan" from the menu to have it pick up any newly added drives. If you haven't rebooted, at least try that.
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@Klamauck wrote:

Hi RbBsmn,

the ADU report doesn't make sense, bacause the "HP Array Configuration Utility" showing no disks of the HP embedded raid controllers. :-(

The other report can take while, because I need a downtime to run the smart cd diagnostic report.

Thank you very much for help. I appreciate it.

Klamauck

The embedded chipset RAID on that server is not a Smart Array controller. ADU won't report anything as ADU is for Smart Array controllers

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Klamauck
Visitor

Hi,

I rebooted ten times. I also did a rescan with mmc and diskpart more times. Unfortuantely nothing helps. Take a look at the attached picture. Standalone disk, no raid config. The same issue :-(

Thanks 

Klamauck