ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1757105 Members
2364 Online
108858 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: cpq32fs2 error, Event ID: 11

Albert Chin

Ok I'm using a 1600, but this machine is so old (yeah it's sad) it doesn't have a smart array controller and only has the onboard SCSI. Should I just ignore this message or what would the alternative solution be?
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

Hi Albert,
Do not change the SCSI driver to Symbios C810. You will blue screen. Try to update the driver or check the cables.
Is the Sony seen at POST?

Mark
We are here for a good time, not a long time!
Albert Chin

Mark,

This server has caused us so many headaches and problems you wouldn't believe it!! We've replaced almost every single piece/part from scsi cable to HDs to EVERYTHING!! The device was JUST swapped out less than 2 months ago, with everything being recabled (so it may be the drivers).

The device shows up at post and works fine, just the event viewer lists an error every day. I haven't had a chance to do any of the changes you've suggested because the server is a live production must be up 24/7 type machine.
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

Hi Albert,
I have found that this error could be more informational and should be ignored.
The reason I say this is due to everything is working fine.
By any chance do you have a normal SCSI controller to try the sony on? Obviously this error is driving you crazy. The CPQ32FS2 is looking for a certain type of response from the Sony drive. Since it's not a Compaq device it reports an error back to the driver and there's the Id 11 error.

Mark
We are here for a good time, not a long time!
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

Does everyone have an AIT 35/70 Tape drive that is getting this error? Does it happen ONLY when you eject the tape by hand?

We get this error when we eject tapes by hand on AIT 35/70's. When the backup software ejects it, no error is logged. We've been ignoring it.
Jens Baumann_2
Frequent Advisor

Generally, this is an error message which wants to tell you "there's something weird going on on the SCSI bus". Most likely causes are cabling or termination problems, but it COULD also be a defective SCSI device, or (on a bus with lots of devices) a device which does not like to be in the position on the bus it is in (e.g. we once had several external CD drives, and we only could get them working in one particular order on the bus) or a device which is sending a message the server can not cope with (like the "eject tape by hand" thing in a previous message in this thread). Microsoft has a knowledge base entry for event id 9/11 messages:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;154690
kuan
Advisor

Hi,

I have ahd EXACTLY the same problems yesterday on a ProLiant 1600R, which uses an onboard SCSI controller.

Exactly the same message and it kept repeating every 4 seconds or so in NT Event Viewer.

I had a system board, backplane board, 40/80DLT and scsi cable (btw does anyone know the Compaq SPS number for a cable with LVD/SE)?

After rebooting the server it seems to be ok, though all the parts are still on standby!

But i will certainly try the symbios c810 driver, thanks Mark.

Regards,
KUAN
jorge santos_4

Albert Chin

ok does anyone have the direct link for the proliant 1600 CP000793 pack that is referenced on the link above and in the article, which doesn't give you a direct link to it? this new hp site drives me CRAZY!!!
Sy  Sahad
Occasional Advisor

Hello Guys,
Since six dayx i have got the same errors.

I'm running Windows NT SP6, i have
Proliant 2500 with Smart Array 2P and Internal SCSI Ultra Wide 32 bit controller,
and External DDS4 20/40 HP DAT drive on ID 6,
ArcServe 2000 for Windows NT Workgroup Advanced Edition Version 7 with SP4.

I have the following errors:

Event ID 11
Source CPQ32FS2
Description - The drive detected a controller error on \Device\ScsiPort3

and

Event ID5
Source CPQ32FS2
Description - a parity error was detected on \Device\ScsiPort3

and the Arcseve actvity log the following errors were displayed :
E6300 - Windows NT SCSI Port Error

I first apply all upgrads with SSD 2.22 and SmartStart 5.20 components. I have apply the HP tape device HPdat.sys find in the tape CDROM, and i have reduce the tape speed in the Proliant Setup to SCSI-2 or SCSI-1, but this made no difference.

When i remove CPQ32FS2 and apply Logic Symbios C810, i can run NT Backup; but the tape is not detect by Tape Tools and ArcServe.
That means the tape drive and cables are good.
It's the CPQ32FS2 device problem.

How can configure the tape in ArcServce with SCSI Symbios device ?

Thanks for suggestion.
Sy