1753479 Members
5099 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: disk array expansion

patlamhk
Frequent Advisor

disk array expansion

I got a DL380G4 with Smart Array 6i and BBWC. Currently, I am using 3 x of 72GB (array A) with RAID5. I would like to swap all of them with 3 x 300GB (array B).

I ghosted those logicial drive from array A to B successfully. But how can I push the Smart Array 6i to boot up from the array B instead of the original array A ?

Pleaes help ! cause my file share getting full now. Once I finish this, I need those 72GB HDD for another server as well.
3 REPLIES 3
Rajashekar Chintakunta
Honored Contributor

Hi Patlamhk,

We will not be able to change the 6i boot up to boot from the Array B. Instead of creating Array B and ghosting the image, I would recommend the following.

Turn off the server, remove one of the 72gb Hdd and install 300gb in that slot and restart, it would rebuild that disk. once rebuilding is done successfully again shutdown the server remove the second 72gb Hdd and swap with 300gb hdd and repeat the procedure for the last disk also.

Once the entire procedure is done, you will have all 300gb Hdds in this unit and you could extend the logical drive. And you could use the 72gb hdds in a different server without losing any information on 72gb hdds.

Regards,
Raj.
Peter.A.Wilson
Occasional Advisor

Hi,
just a bit of clarification for my information. Raj, may be able to clear it up for us. I can see that Raj's solution would successfully replace the 72Gb with the new drives. My understanding is that the rebuilt 300Gb would be rebuilt with 72Gb partition thus you would need to partition the remainder or the disk and assign it to be able to use the full capacity. Could you let me know if I am correct. Also is there a mechanism to in the above scenerio that the entire 300Gb(i.e. 600Gb raid partition) could be utilized under one partition
thank you.
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor