ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1754284 Members
3096 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: initialization never ending

alfred_10

initialization never ending

I have upgraded my drives on my server. I have a message that wont go away. "Background parity initialization is currently queued or in progress on Compaq Smart Array 431 Controller in Slot 3 on the following logical drives:Logical Drive 3

This is a normal operation that is necessary to initialize logical drives that have a fault tolerance with parity. If background parity initialization is queued, it will start when I/O is performed on the drives. When background parity initialization completes, the performance of the logical drives will improve."I realize it takes time for this process, but it has been initializing for 3 days. Is this normal? Comapq says it is, but 3 days! i was wondering if anyone has seen this.
Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Claude Boileau
Valued Contributor

Hi Alfred,

Yes thats right its normal. How many gigabyte total capacity is your logical drive and do you shut you server down. Its should take roughly 15 minutes per gig.

regards
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Is this machine in production now? In some extreme cases I've seen this message continue on for months, because of how busy the server is. Typically if the server is not in production and is idle then it should take 24-48 hours. I would normally recommend the machine be taken offline (boot off smart start cd and run the array config utility) to make sure it finishes.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Joel Savage

How long would it take to complete if you booted off from a smart start cd?

I have a server that this message is on and it is production.