1755914 Members
3419 Online
108839 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: link failure

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

link failure

On a reboot, the server has network connectivity for about 20 seconds and then drops. The error "link failure port 1: slot7" appears on the lcd display. I'm trying to find more information about the error. The network card has been replaced twice along with cables and port in switch. What is the most common cause and resolution for this error?

Thank you
6 REPLIES 6
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Do you know what type of NIC you have in this system (Netelligent or NC)?

What type of switch is involved? You may have an issue with autonegotiation, so you may want to try "forcing" the switch port to a specific speed (like 100 Base T, half duplex...).
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have this identical problem. It happens repeatedly and seems to drop people from the network. If you resolved anything regarding this issue, please reply! This is very concerning. Thank you!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have 2 Proliant 3000 and received an error message and same symptoms.
I did some exhaustive trouble shooting and found the answer, hidden in the error logs. The issue started when a second NIC was installed, I soon found the same problem. I checked in System tools and found that the NIC and the onboard SCSI
conrotller were sharing the same IRQ. Upon changing the NIC IRQ the problem has been minimized.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have a Proliant 1600 and 3000 on two HP Pro Curve 224M switches that experience the same problem. Both machines have 1 Netelligent NIC each so the IRQ issue is not present. The switches are set to 10 mbs/half dup and I have upgraded the NIC drivers, all with no luck.

The only way I got around the issue was to place a HP 10 mbs HUB between the switch and the server. This HACK took care of the problem temporarily but I am hoping there is some REAL fix for the issue.

NOTE: I have a DELL PowerEdge 4400 on the same switch that does NOT experience the problem. HMMMM

COMPAQ....Any suggestions...other than getting rid of the COMPAQs and getting two more DELLs :-) Yes...I thought about replacing the NIC cards but one is embedded and besides, its the principal of it...the stuff should work!!!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

COMPAQ...are you even reading these posts???? I, along with the person who originally posted are waiting for some answers. HELLO...are you there. A fix would be appreciated!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Same problem here was solved setting the NICs from Auto to 100Mhz/full (as our LAN is set).

Regards,