1776 Online
108858 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Netraid D2140

CA1354419

Netraid D2140

I Have a D2140 Netraid PCI Card
I have it set up as a raid5

How do I delete physical drives from the array?
4 REPLIES 4
Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor

Hi Gary,

What you have is a NetRAID-1si controller. You can manage your arrays using the NetRAID Express Tools by pressing M during POST when it gives you the prompt.

Question is, do you want to clear the configuration and start over from scratch or is this a situation where you want to change the RAID-5 to have fewer members? Or, do you have multiple arrays and you want to delete one of them? I'll cover those three scenarios here:

1. To completely wipe your configuration and start over, use the Express Tools and select Configure-->Clear Configuration and confirm.

Next, you need to create a new array. From the Configure menu, choose New Configuration and Proceed. Select each of the hard drives by pressing the bar and to end the array, and again to configure the array. Select Accept twice and say "Yes" to saving the config. Escape back to the Management Menu and initialize the array.

You now have an unpartitioned chunk of disk. To install the O/S, you will need the driver for the NetRAID card on floppy and to specify it on install. You can find drivers here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?locale=en_US&pnameOID=62470&taskId=135&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=51919тМй=en&cc=us

2. There is no way to reconfigure the array to have fewer members without deleting and recreating it. Thus, the previous instructions still apply.

3. Lastly, if you have a second array you want to delete, the best way it by using the NetRAID Assistant (in a Microsoft environment) or MegaManager if you are running NetWARE or Linux. If you have a Netserver Navigator CD, you can do it from there as well but these discs are hard to come by nowadays.

The NetRAID Assistant will allow you to delete the last array configured from within the O/S. You can download the utility here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=51919&prodNameId=62470&swEnvOID=226&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=ns-12645-1

Hope this helps. Let us know how you fare,

Sean T. Craig Sr. C.E.T., M.C.P.

I am King...of my apartment.
CA1354419

Hi

Yes I need to delete a second array

I am using Unix

I have tried megamgr but it does not seem to give me the option to delete an array or physical drive

I have a raid 5 with 3 disks A0-0,A0-1 & A0-2

A0-2 has failed, I replaced the drive but did not use the same SCSI ID so it did not auto rebuild.

In various attempts to get things working I now have the new drive set as A1-0 which I want to remove and use the drive to rebuild array 0

I hope this makes sense

Thanks

CA1354419

Just to update you

I still can not delete the extra drive and array, but I have changed the SCSI setting on the new drive and it now shows as A0-2

Should I bring the drive back online and reboot to get it to auto rebuild the array?

Or should I use the rebuild option first?

Should I do this at boot up after going ctrl - M or in megamgr?

Thanks
Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor

Hi Gary,

Absolutely, you should first rebuild the drive at A0-2. When that completes, you can do the following (and probably at M would be better):
Check the Logical Drive properties from the Objects menu to make sure that default values are being used. Likely something like this:
LD0
RAID=5
Size=34726MB
Stripe Size=64KB
Write Policy=Wrthru
Read Policy=Adaptive
Cache Policy=Cached I/O
Virtual Sizing=Disabled
# of Stripes=3
State=Optimal
*note that the size is dependant on the hard drives that you are using and this value is for example purposes*

Then follow my previous instructions for clearing the configuration and recreate it.

Now, here is the most critical piece of information: When you are done, DO NOT INITIALIZE the new array. What you are doing is creating the array on the controller, not on the drives. The controller will use these values to access the information on the drives and if these values match what was used initially to create the array, you will have access to all your data. When you initialize the array, it wipes it clean of any partition information.

Now, as far as MegaManager is concerned, I've never actually seen it myself but I know that if the option exists to delete the second array, it will be in the Advanced Menu at the bottom of the Management Menu.

Please write back and let me know how it goes,

Sean T. Craig Sr. C.E.T., M.C.P.

I am King...of my apartment.