108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Only 131071 MB of each drive being recognized

SOLVED
Go to solution
mubeckmasj

Only 131071 MB of each drive being recognized

Hi,

As my introduction to HP, I'm trying to setup a new Windows 2003 on a Proliant DL320.

This server has two 200GB disk drives, that I would like to configure as RAID 1 (mirror). However, when I go into the raid controller to configure (f8), it displays each disk as being
131071 MB. When configured as a Raid 1 drive, the total usable is also 131071. Is there an update that will allow the total capacity of the disks to be recognized?

This is what I know about the system:
Proliant DL320
BIOS D13 05/01/24
IDE RAID BIOS 2.7.06161330C ATA100 IDE RAID CONTROLLER
Physical disks:
Maxtor 6L200P0 200GB
WDC WD2999BB - oorda 200GB

Thank you,
Steve
4 REPLIES 4
Chris Rosan
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: Only 131071 MB of each drive being recognized

Are these SCSI, SATA etc disks?

I've always been advised that when raiding disks they should be the same make and model, otherwise you can get disk differences which may mean the array either won't work, isn't reliable or may sacrifice space. Can you get 2 disks the same?
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

I'm not familiar with the DL320, but I have to agree with Chris. Use identical disks in an array.

With that being said, it sounds like a limitation of the IDE RAID Controller to 128GB. You may be able to break the 128GB barrier with a BIOS/firmware update to the IDE RAID Controller.

Also, some IDE disk drives will have jumpers to artificially limit them to smaller sizes for compatibility reasons. Depending on brand/model, it may be printed on the drive's label.

If a BIOS/firmware update to the IDE RAID Controller isn't the solution (it probably is), then look up the specs on the disk drives themselves.
mubeckmasj

Actually, we have more than one of these Proliant D320 servers that I'm setting up. The rest of them have matching disks (two Maxtor 6L200P0 200GB drives). However, the raid controller still displays all of these disks as 131071 MB as well.

Now, I'm looking for a BIOS upgrade for the Integrated Ultra ATA100 IDE Raid Controller.

Thanks for your quick replies.
Mark Reyero

Steve, did you ever resolve this? I am having the same problem with a DL320 G2 that I am trying to upgrade. Many thanks!

Mark