ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1757417 Members
2964 Online
108860 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Poor send performance on DL380G5 with NC373i

Tsietsi Moqejwa

It is 10 January 2009 and I am still experiencing the problem stated in this forum. Has anyone found a proper solurtion that is final and working. HP couldn't help me except by replacing motherboard.Please help urgently.
sphar1970
Contributor

See the following:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?locale=en_US&objectID=c00806549

SUPPORT COMMUNICATION - CUSTOMER ADVISORY
Document ID: c00806547

Advisory: (Revision) DRIVER UPGRADE REQUIRED to Ensure Proper Handling of Network Data on Certain HP NC-Series NICs Using TOE, RDMA or Accelerated iSCSI Functionality in a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment During Periods of Heavy Network Traffic

1) Apply latest NIC drivers
1) Apply http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948496
2) Open HP Network Configuration Utility and disable ethernet properties relating to SNP's RSS, TCPA and TCPChimney feaures

Run a few basic file copy performance tests from the DL380 to a few local PC's.
Kliment A.

I did everything above and still having issues. If I ping the server, there are about 10-20% "request timed out". If I open NP NIC Utility, one of the cards goes red every 3-4 secs. My manager told me that they had issues with another server 6-7 months ago and they bought another NIC and made a team from ports of each NIC.
Andrew Catchpole

I have same problem on 6 HP Servers with NC373i NICS

The application is really suffering even though ping show 100% network relaibility with 2ms rtt.

However, netstat -s shows up to 5% TCP retransmission. No wonder the application is suffering!!!

HP support have done all pacthing and I have turned off TOE and RSS. netstat -t shows no off-loading (to NIC).

BUT the problem has not gone away.

Any help appreciate!!!!
Tom E Reynolds
Advisor

The simplest, quickest, and most efficient method to resolving this issue was to just purchase the Intel cards for this model server. Contact your reseller for the exact model, or read the forum to get the details.

They were not that expensive, and didn't have the packet problems noted. Well worth the cost, if only to troubleshoot and isolate the problem.