1755731 Members
3037 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Raid 1+0 in ProLiant DL360 G6

mikona
Occasional Contributor

Raid 1+0 in ProLiant DL360 G6

what is the min. hard disk requirement of ProLiant DL 360 G6 for Raid 1+0 ( raid 10)?
3 REPLIES 3
DAVID KNAPP
Occasional Advisor

I think that would depend on your OS and other base apps. As the drives get bigger and cheaper we wind up using dual 146GB mirrored drives for the OS and other drives in RAID-5 for the data. That sounds like a lot of space, but it is getting harder to find small drives now that space is cheap. You don't want to low ball yourself, esp. if Windows is in the mix. I have servers running Windows 2000 that are surviving on 6GB boot partitions, but that is pretty small. The newer OS's need more space.
mikona
Occasional Contributor

David,
thanks. if my OS is Win 2003 standard server, from my understanding the min hard disk requirement for having RAid 1+0 is 4 units. But some engineer had told me that the ProLiant DL360 G6 (new gen) can be done with only 2 hard disk. This is true ?
Yuri Holowatsky

William,

Raid 1+0 is essentially a striped mirror; and since you need a minimum of two drives for a stripe, and two drives for a mirror - the min requirement for a Raid 1+0 (RAID10) is 4 drives.

2 Drives will give you EITHER a raid 1 OR a raid 0.

Cheers!