ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1756778 Members
3107 Online
108852 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Windows 2003 Server cannot be installed in a LC3 Server

CA1211296

Windows 2003 Server cannot be installed in a LC3 Server

I have various 4GB and 9GB HDDs and I tried many times to install Windows 2003. It creates a partition and installs the files, but when the first reboot an error message about hard disk configuration problems arises.
I can install Windows 2000 without problems.
Is LC3 not compatible with Windows 2003 ?
Thank you for your help.
4 REPLIES 4
CA912504

Re: Windows 2003 Server cannot be installed in a LC3 Server

I've done it but had to put the internal drives on the built in SCSI interface not the RAID card. While not the setup I want, I used software mirroring for the OS on two of the internal drives and an external array for data. Perhaps there is a RAID card that will work but I don't know which one. If any one else knows I'll buy the card!
CA847690
Advisor

If it is anything like the LH3, which I think it is, you can install Windows 2003. I have installed on both the raid and the internal drives. You will have to make sure the BIOS is set up to boot from whichever LUN you install on. I had the same problem when I first installed on the internal drive. I had not changed which LUN for the boot and it tried to boot from the raid drives.
Hope this helps and good luck.
John
CA912504

I'll try that and see what happens on an LC3 I have doing nothing at the moment. Any idea why a server 2000 installation works perfectly but not 2003 with the same hardware and BIOS settings? What did MS change? Just curious.
CA1219571

Hi

I've actually achieved this in the last few days. The LC 3 in question has a NetRAID 1Si with 3 x 9GB Drives and was running NT4. All I have done to it is made certain the BIOs was current and also the RAID controller firmware. W2k3 installed with no problems and runs a treat - all I could do with now is more disk space!

Regards
Jerry