1748226 Members
4261 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

smart array p410 raid controller problems

zodiak2009

smart array p410 raid controller problems

Hello ,

I am working with a server company and my server had a hard dish raid problem and we cannot access the server right now. I have very important data on my server and I want to recover this data. This is the message written by the server company.

"We would like to inform you that we found that the RAID controller - Smart Array P410 in slot 3 contains a volume that was created with a different version of controller firmware and is not backward-compatible with the current version of the firmware."

Do you have any suggestions for me? Will the data be lost if the RAID version is updated?
Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
DANDKS
HPE Pro

Re: smart array p410 raid controller problems

Hello,

After you found an issue with the hard drive, what actions were taken? Was the faulty hard drive replaced? Was the controller replaced? Or any other part replaced in the server?

Without making any changes to the server, getting the error is not possible. Please provide us the information about the changes made to the server.

Cause

The volume was created with a version of the controller firmware that is not backward-compatible with the current version.

Thank you

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
DANDKS
HPE Pro

Hi,

Do let us know if you need any further assistance with query you have raised. Provide the information that is requested in the previous post so that we can provide an update.

Thank you

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

I had this error many times when replacing RAID controllers. This happens when a controller with a newer firmware is replaced by one with an older firmware (or vice versa... sometimes).

A firmware update of the RAID controller or even the entire server will most likely solve the problem.

If not, try to find out what firmware was installed on the removed controller. Then get a new controller and flash the same firmware as the original had. Your RAID should work again. Then update all togehter.

Another reason for this problem is when you install "new" disks that still have a RAID configuration stored. HP controllers store the config on the disks, making it easy to replace a controller because it just has to read the config from the disks.
If you install a disk that was in another server before, it could confuse your RAID controller. If that is the case, you can low-level format that drive, using a well known disk erase software. That will also cure the problem.

"If it seems illogical... you just don't have enough information"