108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ISEE client authentication/encryption mechanism

Marc Gijsbrechts
Occasional Contributor

ISEE client authentication/encryption mechanism

In the ISEE documentation we find :
Security of client-server network communications:
├в ┬в Secure communications between clientserver components is implemented using http encrypted with RC4 private-key encryption and machine to machine X.509v3 digital certificate authentication.
├в Security for content (MAPs):
├в ┬в Content security is implemented using X.509v3 digital certificates and MD5 message digest to digitally sign content to verify integrity and authenticate origin.

Communication is standard http (so not SSL based). so my questions: how is the above implemented? how is the private key used in RC4 is made available on all communicating parties? (Clients and HP backend in SC, and clients and SPOP in AC.)
How is the certificate based authentication is implemented, are certificates exchanged at the moment the http connection is established, are both client and server authenticated, are certificates installed on the clients/SPOP during implementation etc...

Is content security (digitally signing content via MD5 hash and private key of sender)implemented the same way between clients and spop, clients and backend HP,Spop and backend HP, if not what 's the dif
2 REPLIES 2
Frauke Denker_2
Esteemed Contributor

Hello,
If I got all this correct, the symmectic key is exchanged with RSA public-key encryption cipher with 2048-bit key. For every new data transfer you will have a new symmetic key.
Certificates will be send from client and server at the beginning of the communication, they are installed during installation.
The communication between client and backend and client and SPOP is nearly the same, means the content security is the same as well. I├В┬┤m not 100% sure but it should be the same for SPOP <--> backend as well.
Regards
Frau
Marc Gijsbrechts
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I've been looking for several weeks now on detailed infoemation on how ISEE actually works (regarding autentication and encryption between all communicating parties)and I get the impression that these things are not documented anywhere and nobody is really sure or can give a formal answer.

But if I got your answer correct you're saying clients get their certificate the moment the isee SW is installed on them. How does this happen? What generates these certificates because they're unique to the subject(client), right ?
In public key cryptography they're generated by CA's, which can be public independant entities, but can also be private organisations. In ISEE's case it's HP itself that's the CA? correct? So is there some certificate generating SW on the spop or Backend that issues these certificates for the installed clients or how is it implemented?