Server Clustering
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extend existing logical drives when adding MSA30 shelf to MSA1000

Ian Selsby
Occasional Advisor

Extend existing logical drives when adding MSA30 shelf to MSA1000

I have a two-node active/active cluster running W2K3 on DL560 G1 servers. The MSA1000 has dual controllers and dual 2Gb switches connecting to dual HBAs in each server. We are running SecurePath. Existing enclosure is full of 15k 72.8Gb disks, configured as 7 RAID 1(+0) arrays.
Servers are running SQL Server 2000.

I am looking to add an MSA30 SAN enclosure with identical disks to increase capacity.

Ideally, I want to increase the size of existing arrays and expand the existing logic disks, but I've read that this is not recommended with MSCS as Dynamic Disks are bad in this environment.

Do I have any option other than creating new arrays?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: Extend existing logical drives when adding MSA30 shelf to MSA1000

First off, MS recommends you do not try to use Dynamic disks when building a cluster. I can't say it does or does not work since I never tried doing it, though I have set up hundreds of clusters in the past 4 years.

The information you need I think is that you do not need dynamic disks to expand your logical disks and available space.

Basically, you would add the new shelf and drives. I suggest scheduling some down time to reboot everything. You shouldn't hot add the MSA30, though I think it would work. Get the new shelf active and make sure you can view them in ACU.

Next, add the drives you want to your existing arrays. Expansion may take some time. Once added, you can then expand your Logical drives. Thiscan take sometime as well depending on the amount of data the controllers have to move around.

Once complete, you need to use a utility from microsoft called Diskpart.exe. See below for 2 links. General info for single host and info for Shared Cluster Disks...

Link 1:;en-us;325590

Link 2:;en-us;304736

If you need any help, or have more questions... just ask. We're here.

Have a wonderful weekend full of fun and enjoyment ;o)

Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5)
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)