108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Trap for Disc failure

SOLVED
Go to solution
Meier Daniel
Frequent Advisor

Trap for Disc failure

When we unplug a disc which is in a raid 1, why we do not receive a trap in IM 7.0. We just see a Device Status Change "Yellow". When we unplug a Network Cable from one port then we receive a trap, but not when removing a disc. Is this by design?

Still runing on IM 7.2 not yet updated to 7.21

Regards

Dani
3 REPLIES 3
Jeff Mathews
Respected Contributor

Re: Trap for Disc failure

Hi Dani, the best way is to set up a special notification task. Do the following to get this working:

1. Click Devices - Tasks - New Notification Task - Email notification.

2. Enter the email address where you want the notification sent, and a subject line like "Disk Status" and click next.

3. Enter a task name in the top field like "Disk Status Notification" then click the "new query" button.

4. Select the "events by severity" radio button and press OK.

5. Select the "event(s) of type" checkbox, the click the "type" hyperlink in the bottom box.

6. Click the "storage" folder to see all the storage related events, and click all the checkboxes beside "Disk *.*)" (eg. Disk Drive Degraded). Then press OK.

7. Now you can further narrow down your criteria by having the notification run only for servers. To do this, select the "Device(s) of type" checkbox in your Query Criteria Selection box, and again click the "Type" hyperlink that appears at the bottom of the page.

8. Select the "Server" check box and press OK.

9. Give your new query a name like "Server Disk Status" at the top of the page, and press SAVE. (You will be returned to the task setup page, and should have your new query selected.

10. Click the "schedule" hyperlink at the bottom of the page and select when you want this to run. I usually use the "When new devices or events meet your query criteria" radio button at the top of the page so I am notified immediately.

11. Click save to save your new notification task.

Now go pull on of those drives on a test server and see if you get the right notifications. Should work like a charm :)

Jeff
Jadrice Toussaint
Honored Contributor
Solution

Meier -

You will need to eitehr update to IM7 sp2.1 or download the newest IM7 mib ptahc from HP. IM7 will not recognize storage related traps when your clients are running the manegement agents 6.40 and above. DO the update and run your test again. You will get better results.

Let me know how you make out.
Meier Daniel
Frequent Advisor

Jadrice

You got it. Ii updated to 7.21 and also updated the 23 Mib Files. Now i took out a disk and CIM Reports me 2 correct Trap called "Logigal Drive Status Change" and "Phisycal Drive Status Change".

Great Input. Thanks again

Regards

Dani