1753964 Members
7942 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Get-HPEiLOServerSoftwareInventory does not return version and process name

Anand1202
Advisor

Get-HPEiLOServerSoftwareInventory does not return version and process name

I am using Scripting Tools for Windows PowerShell: iLO cmdlets released on 22 Feb 2021 (link: Software Details | HPE Support Center)

[Extra question #1: Why is the latest version not top of the revision list ? ]

I enjoy the information provided by 

(Get-HPEiLOFirmwareInventory -Connection $connection).FirmwareInformation 

I will get info like:

Index : 1
FirmwareName : iLO 5
FirmwareVersion : 2.41 Mar 08 2021
DeviceClass : 2e317b8d-c9f3-4d56-bfe6-b9d1d0850a52
DeviceInstance :
Targets : {4764a662-b342-4fc7-9ce9-258c5d99e815, c1bcf2b6-1131-49bf-aac8-c73791f0349c}

That is all good. I can get the info I need on Firmware.

I would also like to use PowerShell to pull info on the HPE Software installed.

But when I run

(Get-HPEiLOServerSoftwareInventory -Connection $connection).ServerSoftwareInfo

I get a result where som data seems to be missing, example:

Index : 1
Description : agentless management service
Name :
Version :
DeviceContext :
DeviceClass : e7a8c7dd-a6c1-4156-b14b-98bc323ddc7b
DeviceInstance :
Targets : {20a6e8e4-bf33-4c71-a6af-d9ec7b303367}

Notice how there is no "Name" and no "Version".

Why is that?

If I log into the iLO 5 I can see name should be ams.exe and version 2.30.1.0. But it does not show when I run the PowerShell command.

[Extra question #2: Why is "ssaducli.exe" named " smart storage administrator" (version 4.21.7.0) ? That name is also used by "ssa.exe" and it is thus difficult to see which is which, they should not be identical - maybe a mistake by the person who entered it somewhere?! - Where? ANd can it be changed?]

8 REPLIES 8
Anand1202
Advisor

Re: Get-HPEiLOServerSoftwareInventory does not return version and process name

FYI..

I tried to downgrade from version 3.1.0.0 to version 3.0.0.1 ( Software Details | HPE Support Center ). [Edit: This version by the way appear as version 3.0.1.0 in Add/Remove Programs on Windows Server 2016 OS]

Same issue. I still do not get any data for name and version for the HPE software installed...

I wonder if it works for anyone out there.. Eg. if it is some local issue I expereince or if it is a general issue with the PowerShell Module...

Edit: If no help is provided in this thread (or in the case opened by HPE to support me addressing this issue) then I plan to find time next month to downgrade iLO 5 firmware to version 2.31 and try to connect directly to see if issue perhaps is caused by new firmware or network/firewall - I will update this thread with my findings).

Anand1202
Advisor

FYI - I tried to downgrade to iLO v 2.19. Still have the same issue.

I have opened a case with HPE and hope that they will be able to find out what the issue is. Will share the solution here when found.

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

Please explain your query in short to understand the issue  as well as HPE case number.

What is the server model number.

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Anand1202
Advisor

> Please explain your query in short to understand the issue

The issue in short (discovered in May 2021 a bit before I created this thread) :

The PowerShell command Get-HPEiLOServerSoftwareInventory found in Scripting Tools for Windows PowerShell: iLO cmdlets made by HPE has some bugs (link: Software Details | HPE Support Center )

Please have someone who knows something about PowerShell and the cmdlets made by HPE look into this issue for me if possible.

> What is the server model number

The Generation 10 models where I can confirm that the issue is seen are 867959-B21 and 867962-B21.

I have asked HPE support to try and see if they can make it work against ANY other model. 

That request has not been answered.

In general then I am not impressed with the support I have gotten in case.

HPE case number : 5356158829 (Ticket opened on 4th of June 2021 - more than 6 weeks ago)

2 days before that I also reported the issue on GitHub: Get-HPEiLOServerSoftwareInventory does not return version and name and is wrongly used in InventoryInformation.ps1 · Issue #65 · HewlettPackard/PowerShell-ProLiant-SDK (github.com)

1st line support just seem to waste my time asking me to do stuff that is not at all related to the issue at hand.

2nd level support do not answer any of my questions and do not report much back on what they are doing making me think that they are not doing anything at all.  On the 29th of June I was told that they work to reproduce the issue and would share their findings. Nothing has been shared so far... That is approx. 3 weeks ago.

Last thing I heard (on the 9th of July - 10 days ago!) was that the case would be escalate to engineering team "soon*".  When HPE support use the term "soon" I think it means "withing a month" but I do not know. 

Anand1202
Advisor

In less than 2 months HPE support has now confirmed that there is an issue with the cmdlet.

They are still investigating but I expect that an update to "Scripting Tools for Windows PowerShell: iLO cmdlets" will be released addressing the issue reported in this thread.

Will keep you posted when I learn more.

Anand1202
Advisor

I have heard from HPE support that they have identified the issue and a new version of the PowerShell Scripting tools will be realesed soon. 

When it is released I will verify it it works as intended and update this thread with my findings.

Anand1202
Advisor

Earlier I was told that the next update of the tool would be in August. Now I have been told that the development team currently do not have specific release date but that the next update is expected to be some time next month (October 2021).

I have also been told that the naming of the smart storage administrator software is done by a company called Microsemi and that there are no plans to rename one of the two components they have named the same.
I have been requested to open a new case with HPE with this request if I want it changed. I am not sure if I will do so.....

Anand1202
Advisor

Version 3.2 of "Scripting Tools for Windows PowerShell: iLO cmdlets" seem to address the issue mentioned according to the revision history found here:

Software Details - Scripting Tools for Windows PowerShell: iLO cmdlets | HPE Support

It states:

* Fixes provided for issues identified with below cmdlets :
       - Get-HPEiLOServerSoftwareInventory

UNQUOTE

and

* Fixes provided for issues identified with the below sample file :
      - InventoryInformation.ps1

UNQUOTE

Unfortunatly the link to download version 3.2 seems to be broken.

I hope it will be fixed soon so that I can verify the changes to work.