Server Management - Remote Server Management

Set-HPEBIOSSecureBootState ... not working

PhS-
Frequent Advisor

Set-HPEBIOSSecureBootState ... not working

Hello, I try to  "SecureBootState" Enabled on my HP Proliant G9 (ILO 4 2.60) using powershell

$iLOBIOSConnection  = Connect-HPEBIOS -IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -Username $ILOUsername -Password $ILOPassword  -DisableCertificateAuthentication
Set-HPEBIOSSecureBootState -Connection $iLOBIOSConnection -SecureBootState Enabled 

The output seems to be ok :

VERBOSE: Performing the operation "Set-HPEBIOSSecureBootState" on target "IP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx".
VERBOSE: [Set-HPEBIOSSecureBootState] Executing the cmdlets with 1 task serially.
VERBOSE: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx : Validating the connection object.
VERBOSE: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx : Validating input parameters for Set-HPEBIOSSecureBootState.
VERBOSE: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx : Reading BIOS firmware data.
VERBOSE: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx : Checking whether the input parameters of Set-HPEBIOSSecureBootState are supported in xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.
VERBOSE: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx : Checking dependency for the input parameters of Set-HPEBIOSSecureBootState in xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.
VERBOSE: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx : Configuring Set-HPEBIOSSecureBootState with supplied input data in xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.

But at the server reboot on the iLO I can see the following :

Secure Boot.PNGAnd as a result SecureBoot is not Enable !!!

Can someone help ?

PhS

7 REPLIES 7
PiterParker
Valued Contributor

Re: Set-HPEBIOSSecureBootState ... not working

Hi, 

I know it is basic and probably you did it already, but have you tried to reset the settings to the default and or format NAND?

Regards, 

Piotr

PhS-
Frequent Advisor

Hello Piotr,

what do you suggest I reset to default ? all the BIOS settings?

And about formating the NAND, no I didn't try ... how would it help, and is there a easy way to do so ?

Some context : we are using the command to enable Secure Boot on 52 servers DL380 Gen9 ... and none "respected" our command, they all "came back" after a reboot to SecureBoot DISABLE, without applying the " pending Bios setting "

PhS 

B_Rajesh
Frequent Advisor

Thank you for reportng this issue.

We can able to reproduce this issue at our end. It is a bug in Set-HPEBIOSSecureBootStatus.

As per BIOS REST schema, the SecureBootStatus property is readyonly, So, you cannot set the same using Set-HPEBIOSSecureBootStatus cmdlet.

Download and Install our REST cmdlets from PowerShell Gallery. 

Install-Module -Name HPRESTCmdlets -Verbose

Use RESTCmdlets to configure the Secure Boot as below.

PS C:\> $iLORESTConnection = Connect-HPREST x.x.x.x admin admin123 -DisableCertificateAuthentication

PS C:\> $SecureBootPayload = '{ "SecureBootEnable": true }'

PS C:\> Set-HPRESTData -Session $iLORESTConnection -Href 'rest/v1/Systems/1/SecureBoot' -Setting $SecureBootPayload

Note: The value for property SecureBootEnable cannot be changed while the computer system BIOS is in POST.

Thank you

Regards
Rajesh Balakrishnan
I am a HPE Employee
PhS-
Frequent Advisor

When I try to connect to the iLO using REST

$iLORESTConnection  = Connect-HPREST -Address $IiLOREST $ILOUsername $ILOPassword  -DisableCertificateAuthentication

I get the following error

Convert-JsonToPSObject : The script failed due to call depth overflow.
At PowerShell Modules\HPRESTCmdlets\1.2.0.0\HPRESTCmdlets.psm1:1782 char:34
+ ... ertedPsobject = Convert-JsonToPSObject -JsonString $jsonStringRemProp
+                     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (0:Int32) [Convert-JsonToPSObject], RuntimeException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CallDepthOverflow,Convert-JsonToPSObject

PhS-
Frequent Advisor

Any chance to get help from someone ?

Mimault Philippe
Occasional Advisor

Hello

Have you find a solution? I have the same problem..

I have update to SPP2018.09, IP with 2.70B, but always this error with Connect-HPREST:

Convert-JsonToPSObject : The script failed due to call depth overflow.
At C:\MSDEV\Powershell\ESXSAPHANA\HPRESTCmdlets\HPRESTCmdlets.psm1:1782 char:34
+ $convertedPsobject = Convert-JsonToPSObject -JsonString $jsonStringR ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (0:Int32) [Convert-JsonToPSObject], RuntimeException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CallDepthOverflow,Convert-JsonToPSObject

Vijay_B
HPE Pro

Hi Philippe,

We have not been able to reproduce this issue in the lab. I have sent you an email to get more information about this issue. 

Thank you,

Vijay Bhojwani

I am a HPE Employee