Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
Server Management - Remote Server Management
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iLO 3: ssh timeout of 60 seconds ?

Occasional Visitor

iLO 3: ssh timeout of 60 seconds ?

Hi All,

I noticed that other than iLO2, iLO3 appears to have a 60 seconds inactivity timeout when accessing it through ssh. Is that configurable anywhere ? One minute is very short, when you are trying to watch a server reboot.

Thanks in advance

Occasional Visitor

Re: iLO 3: ssh timeout of 60 seconds ?

In iLO3 - try setting "Idle Connection Timeout" to "Infinite" under web menu "Administration -> Access Settings".

Also it is often the client tool side that times out, not iLO. For example, PuTTY is a free SSH shell for Win/Linux and has a "re-negotiate ssh key" default timeout of 60 seconds. You can change that under "Connection->SSH->key->Max" to '0' for infinite

(thanks to PaulS for this tip).
Occasional Visitor

Re: iLO 3: ssh timeout of 60 seconds ?

===[ Issue ]===

the iLO3 ssh server appears not to reply to ssh ServerAlive requests.

$ ssh -V
OpenSSH_5.3p1 Debian-3ubuntu4, OpenSSL 0.9.8k 25 Mar 2009

$ cat .ssh/config
ServerAliveInterval 15
ServerAliveCountMax 3

$ ssh user@server-ilo
[after exactly 60 seconds]
hpiLO-> Timeout, server not responding.

===[ Explanation ]===

According to the configuration, a ServerAlive request is sent every 15 seconds. Three times the lack of a reply ist tolerated. When the forth request remains unanswered, the client drops the connection.

===[ Workaround ]===

$ ssh -o ServerAliveInterval=0 user@server-ilo

If you need ServerAlive messages in order to keep the connection open across an NAT Firewall, you could simply configure ssh to send a large number of ServerAlive messages without expecting a reply, e.g. the following command would time out after a day:

$ ssh -o ServerAliveInterval=15 -o ServerAliveCountMax=5759 user@server-ilo



- Changing the "Idle Connection Timeout" on the web interface had no effect.
- I did not attempt to change any key re-negotiation timings as that would compromise the security of the conection.
- Thank you for mentioning a possible client side issue. This helped me find a workaround to this iLO3 bug.