Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1756992 Members
2346 Online
108858 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Add user to system management homepage from CLI?

Sean Carolan
Frequent Advisor

Add user to system management homepage from CLI?

We have recently instituted a new security policy that eliminates the use of the root password on all Linux servers. Sudo is used instead when someone needs root privileges. One of the side effects of this policy is that we can no longer access our HP System Management Homepage control panels.

I realize that I can log in as root on each control panel and add extra users but this will take a huge amount of time, and besides that I don't even know the root password anymore (we keep it locked up in a password vault).

Is there a way from the command line that I might be able to create a non-privileged user that can log onto SMH on all our servers? I poked around in the /opt/compaq directory a bit but wasn't sure where authentication settings are kept.

thanks.

Sean
3 REPLIES 3
TechGuru
Trusted Contributor

Re: Add user to system management homepage from CLI?

Sean Carolan,

1) create a normal user group (say SMHAdmin) in Operating system

2) Add this group (SMHAdmin)to "administrators" or "operators" user group in SMH settings

By doing this, Any user in SMHAdmin group can access SMH with root privilage.

Once you do this settings in One SMH in your network, you can perform "Replicate Agent Settings" task in HPSIM to copy the same user group settings to all the SMH in your network.

Hope this helps
Sean Carolan
Frequent Advisor

If anyone is interested I found the file that contains the usernames who are allowed access to the system management homepage. I was able to script this to set them up on all servers at once!

On our Linux servers the file is located here:

/opt/hp/hpsmh/conf/smhpd.xml
Sean Carolan
Frequent Advisor

Edit file:

/opt/hp/hpsmh/conf/smhpd.xml

and restart SMH, and any users listed in this file that have a Linux account will be able to log in.