1754057 Members
2780 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Bug in HPSIM6 w/ VMware detection

pgarr
Frequent Advisor

Bug in HPSIM6 w/ VMware detection

Folks, Anyone running; HPSIM6. My VM hosts are detected as VMware however the column for SW (version control) comes up as (?) where it should be blank as VC is not supported on VMware ESX.

Recently I put up a ESX host and setup snmp but forgot to install the hp-agents for vmware. I noticed the box was detected as "Linux - VMware" and the SW icon was blank as its supposed to be but after I installed the hp agents for vmware ran a identify it changed to "VMware ESX" and the SW icon is now (?).

Here is my SIM host info
Operating system: Windows Server 2008
Version: Systems Insight Manager 6.0 - Windows
Build version: C.06.00.00.00
Build date: 2010-03-13 11:43

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

We're running ESX and ESXi and when they're correctly identified the SW field is blank.

The ESX servers are all 3.5 with agents installed, ESXi is version 4 and with the HP ESX offline bundle installed.

Have you tried running the SW Polling task after the ID has correctly ID'd teh server?
pgarr
Frequent Advisor

I did re-run identify tast but no change.
I'm running VMware ESX 4.

With just snmp service running, the OS is identified as "Linux - VMware" and SW, as expected, is blank.

After installing hp agents, OS is identified as "VMware ESX" and SW status goes to (?)
Jason Salgado
Regular Advisor

Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I suggested running the SW Polling task, after the servers been ID'd. It only runs weekly by default (probably running over the weekend().
pgarr
Frequent Advisor

I did a SW poll no change. I also applied the hotfix and removed rediscovered the VM hosts with no change, the SW icon is still present and status is ?.

I added my xenservers and they are detected as Linux - XenServer and there is no SW status. I think the problem is the detection hp agents for vm are not working as expected.
pgarr
Frequent Advisor

This is becoming slightly annoying mainly because HP support is telling me there is nothing wrong.

I've got several xenservers, all detected as such and the SW icon is blank. I've installed VMM and the latest SIM hotfix and removed all vmware and xenservers, rediscovered then and only xenservers continue to work. I show this to HP and they say its working as expected. "VMware is supposed to show a SW status of "(i)""

As anyone else experience this problem?
pgarr
Frequent Advisor

WBEM seems to fix everything. My ESX hosts are detected, subtypes and OS description same as with SNMP, but SW is blank as expected.