1756997 Members
2264 Online
108858 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP SIM V5.1 SP1 - residing on new server

Melinda Cooper
Frequent Advisor

HP SIM V5.1 SP1 - residing on new server

A few months ago we installed HPSIM V5.1, SP1 on a new Windows 2003 SP2 server. We copied over the Host file from the old server (source) to the new Target server based on information from HP Support. We have approximately 95 W2K servers, a few blades and ESX servers (VMs are coming)
Since we've been on the new server I notice that sometimes we don't get the unreachable/reachable when a server is rebooted. I've worked with an HP Technican and he had me change the HW Status Polling for servers, change from the default 5 min to 2 minutes. You can ping a server from the generic SNMP trap and get an event logged on the SIM server. We were using ICMP but changed to TCP which seems to catch a few more servers when they are rebooted. According to our Network Admins nothing had changed on the firewall for ICMP protocol blocking.
Altiris is installed along with RDP.
Anyone else have this experience?
2 REPLIES 2
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: HP SIM V5.1 SP1 - residing on new server

Servers can be up and down pretty quickly nowadays. It may still be just a case of the polling missing it.
Virtual Guest servers can be even worse (or better depending on your view) as they reboot even quicker.
Melinda Cooper
Frequent Advisor

Re: HP SIM V5.1 SP1 - residing on new server

We decreased the time of the automatic hardware polling task, but are still having issues. We have been working with tech support and feel there may be a problem with the SID since we copied the host file from the target server to the source and also have RDP installed on the new server which we didn't have on the target server.