1757453 Members
2623 Online
108862 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SIM does not display Veritas SNMP Traps

V. Clerici

HP SIM does not display Veritas SNMP Traps

Hi

We would like to recieve Veritas Storage Foundation Traps in HP SIM 5.0 (e.g. Disk-Group or Disk-Path Errors)

We copied the relevant MIB to the MIB Directory on the SIM Server as described in the Veritas Storage Foundation and HP SIM Guide. Afterwards we compiled and registred the MIB (using: mcompile VRTS-vm.mib and mxmib -a VRTS-vm.cfg). So far everything went fine without errors. After registration, the Traps also appear correctly in SIM -> Options -> Events -> SNMP Trap Settings.
When we trigger a Storage Foundation Trap (e.g. detach / attache Disks) we recieve no Alert Message in SIM, while investigating this problem we can see SNMP Traps in Network Monitor Trace on the managed Node.When we send a Test-Trap from the HP Management Utility in Control Panel the Trap is reconized by the SIM Server?. However we noticed different structures of the Traps in the network trace. The Veritas Trap seems to be a SNMP v2 Trap while the HP Test Trap is SNMP v1. As I understand, SIM converts the MIB's to SNMP v1 during copilation process?

In an other test we changend the trap destination from SIM to HP Open View, where we get following output:

################

Wed Mar 21 15:57:21 2007
server.domain.org

Received event .1.3.6.1.4.1.1302.3.11.10.1.280 (enterprise:.1.3.6.1.4.1.1302.3.11.10.1 generic:6 specific:280), no format in trapd.conf.

5 args:
[1] private.enterprises.1302.3.11.10.1.280.1 (OctetString): Info
[2] private.enterprises.1302.3.11.10.1.280.2 (OctetString): Manual backup of the dynamic disk group Disk_L configuration succeeded.
[3] private.enterprises.1302.3.11.10.1.280.3 (OctetString): None.
[4] private.enterprises.1302.3.11.10.1.280.4 (OctetString): Manually backup the dynamic disk group configuration.
[5] private.enterprises.1302.3.11.10.1.280.5 (OctetString): vxcbr backup and restore.

;1 .1.3.6.1.4.1.1302.3.11.10.1.280 0

################

Does Anyone have some Ideas?

- Is there any Logfile where I can monitor the trap handling or activity in SIM?

- What is the meeaning of the Trap community in this context? I noticed that the Veritas Application uses it's own SNMP Community (Public) While the trap community of the Win SNMP Service on the same node is different.

- The MIB File had dependencies to other rfc MIBs (RFC-1212,RFC-1215 etc.) must these MIB's also be copiled and registred in SIM?

- What else can I do to troubleshoot this kind of problems

Thank You very much for any pointer !

---
Attachements:

- SNMP_Trap_Network_Trace.jpg -> Network Traces of the magend Node
7 REPLIES 7
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Your first step would be to enable 'Accept Unregistered Traps' under Options --> Events in HP SIM to make sure that HP SIM is actually getting the trap and not discarding it because of a MIB problem.
V. Clerici

Hi Claypool

Thanks for Your quick response!
I already specified "Accept unregistered events" in Event Filter Settings...

Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Just to be clear on terminology, events and alerts are two different things.
The event is generated when a trap is received, an alert may be generated depending on the event handling task.

The easiest way to check if an event has been received is to click on the server name that generated the trap and click on the events tab.
The event generated may just have an Information severity rating.

If the event is there and you're expecting an alert, then you'd need to check the conditions in which an alert was generated.

If there is no event generated then you may want to look at community names, HPSIM can receive traps for different community names. They just need to be added into the SNMP settings.
V. Clerici

Thanks for you advice!
That's exactly my problem, there is no event shown on the Servers event tab in HPSIM. I can see only the Test Trap wich i can send with the "HP Management Agents" Utility.
I already registered all communities in HPSIM (Global Protocol Settings)
bammy
Frequent Advisor

I'm struggling also with the same problem. v2 traps from centera and our air con systems are simply being ignored by SIM no matter what I do.
John Frickson
Occasional Advisor

Did you ever get this resolved? I'm also not receiving v2 traps.
V. Clerici

No, unfortunately no solution....