7368 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP SIM "NoClassDefFoundError" exception at boot

Alejandro Gomez Lopez
Occasional Contributor

HP SIM "NoClassDefFoundError" exception at boot

Hello everyone,

For reconfiguration issues I had to restart the HP SIM 6.0 service recently on a Windows Server 2003 machine. However the service won't start correctly now and instead it will keep restarting endlessly.

In the mxdomainmgr.0.log I can see a NoClassDefFoundError java exception shortly after one of the initialization phases starts. The class that cannot be found is "com.hp.mx.core.protocol.snmp.SnmpRequest". Since the affected "MxStartup" service will not start, the server will shut down automatically later in the boot process. Below you cand see the log file's relevant lines around the moment of the exception:

31 Jan 15:29:13,656 INFO [HPSIM_DEBUG] [Status-0] (main) ********* Executing PREPARE INIT TRACKING TABLE **********
31 Jan 15:29:19,812 INFO [HPSIM_DEBUG] [Status-0] (main) Persisting : 0 records to TRACKING table
31 Jan 15:29:22,484 INFO [HPSIM_DEBUG] [Status-0] (main) ********* Executing DATA INIT SQL PHASE **********
31 Jan 15:29:25,437 WARN [UserSuppliedConnectionProvider] No connection properties specified - the user must supply JDBC connections
31 Jan 15:29:28,375 WARN [UserSuppliedConnectionProvider] No connection properties specified - the user must supply JDBC connections
31 Jan 15:29:31,625 INFO [STDOUT] in DeleteEventList - attempting to add the same listener multiple times.
31 Jan 15:29:32,531 INFO [JbpmConfiguration] using configuration resource: jbpm.cfg.xml
31 Jan 15:29:32,593 INFO [StaleObjectLogConfigurer] stale object exceptions will be hidden from logging
31 Jan 15:29:32,875 INFO [HPSIM_DEBUG] [Status-0] (main) ********* Executing INIT OBJECT CACHE PHASE **********
31 Jan 15:29:32,890 INFO [HPSIM_DEBUG] [Status-0] (main) ********* Executing MIB INIT PHASE **********
31 Jan 15:29:46,718 INFO [HPSIM_DEBUG] [Status-0] (main) Processed Default CMS Alerts/Events: C:\Program Files\HP\Systems Insight Manager\config\preload\52\addfiles\cmsalerttypes.xml
31 Jan 15:29:46,734 INFO [HPSIM_DEBUG] [Status-0] (main) ********* Executing DATA INIT PHASE ONE **********
31 Jan 15:29:46,984 INFO [HPSIM_DEBUG] [Panic Logger-0] (main) [the cms node] does not have the primary DNS name configured properly
31 Jan 15:29:47,265 INFO [HPSIM_DEBUG] [Panic Logger-0] (main) [CMS doesnt have fully qualified DNS name], DNSname={0}
31 Jan 15:29:47,500 WARN [ServiceController] Problem starting service com.hp.mx:service=MxStartup
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class com.hp.mx.core.protocol.snmp.SnmpRequest
at com.hp.mx.core.tools.discovery.DiscoverTheCMSLocalHost.ensureTheXeHostExists(DiscoverTheCMSLocalHost.java:724)
at com.hp.mx.core.tools.discovery.DiscoverTheCMSLocalHost.getTheXeDevice(DiscoverTheCMSLocalHost.java:121)
at com.hp.mx.core.controllers.MxAuthController.addAuthorization(MxAuthController.java:3639)
at com.hp.mx.core.controllers.MxAuthController.addAuthorization(MxAuthController.java:424)
at com.hp.mx.devtool.dbinit.InitUsers.addNodeGroupAuth(InitUsers.java:592)
at com.hp.mx.devtool.dbinit.InitUsers.createStartupUser(InitUsers.java:421)
at com.hp.mx.init.workflow.MxDataInitPhaseOne.executePhase(MxDataInitPhaseOne.java:51)
at com.hp.mx.init.workflow.MxAbstractInitPhase.execute(MxAbstractInitPhase.java:52)
at org.jbpm.graph.def.Action.execute(Action.java:125)
at org.jbpm.graph.def.GraphElement.executeAction(GraphElement.java:281)

At first, it looks like a missing library. However, I find it very strange that the "com.hp.mx.core.protocol.snmp.SnmpRequest" class cannot be found while that error does not show up with other classes that can be seen in the stack trace and share part of the package tree, like "com.hp.mx.core.controllers.MxAuthController" or "com.hp.mx.core.tools.discovery.DiscoverTheCMSLocalHost". Plus, in an older boot log there is no trace of such exception.

In addition to this, at the begining of the log file the list of the different library directories is displayed. I have browsed the "C:\Program, Files\HP\Systems, Insight, Manager\lib\" directory and found the following libraries potentially related to the "com.hp.mx" package:

mx.jar
mxpartner.jar
mxpartnerlib4_2.jar
mxpartnerlib5_0.jar
mxpartnerlib5_0_2.jar
mxpartnerservice.jar
mxwsman_config-5.1.0.0.jar

I wonder if the "com.hp.mx.core.protocol" part of the "com.hp.mx" package is located in a library other than those ones. In that case maybe it is missing on my machine.

Another reason for the error could be the presence of both "C:\Program Files" and "C:\Program Files (x86)" on the machine and somehow this could drive the classloader crazy, although the creation dates for these directories is earlier than the last time HP SIM booted correctly. Anyways, I thought of removing or renaming on of the two directories, but it is a dangerous thing to do without being 100% sure.

I would appreciate any help on this issue, since at this moment I am thinking of reinstalling the whole HP SIM. If you need any further piece of information (including log files), do not hesitate to ask me for them. Thanks in advance!!!!
1 REPLY 1
Alejandro Gomez Lopez
Occasional Contributor

Re: HP SIM "NoClassDefFoundError" exception at boot

We had to make a re-installation and now it works.