Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753809 Members
7996 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How do I exclude systems from sending event alerts?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jason Salgado
Regular Advisor

How do I exclude systems from sending event alerts?

Hello,
I am new to the server world here at our organization. We have over 600 servers which also include VMs. Everything is working OK. I get email alerts when a system goes down or there is a hardware issue.
The problem is we are getting workstations intermixed with our servers on the same subnet.
What I would like to do is to exclude the workstations, which are showing up in HP SIM 5.3 as servers, from email alerts when they are being rebooted or are shut down for the day.
I've tried to add host names one line at a time in "Discard SNMP traps from discovered systems in IP ranges:" as well as their IP address, but that didn't work.
I also noticed under "all scheduled tasks">"hardware status polling for servers", if I edit that and click on "server status polling list", workstations are showing up in there. I don't see how I can edit that list or remove them from there.
I would rather not edit our discovery subnets as there are way too many servers to edit this for every IP address.
So I've tried playing around with this, but I just can't seem to get it to NOT notify me of a workstation problem. I have a windows XP SP2 workstation as I am using to test with, but HP SIM 5.3 just keeps notifying my when I turn the system off or back on. We have about 40 XP SP2 workstations right now that are sending alerts, which I don't want.
Please help.
Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

Re: How do I exclude systems from sending event alerts?

hi,

do you want them monitored at all or just the event e-mail to be stopped ?
you will have an automatic event handling task which is sending you the e-mails, edit that and use something unique to the workstations (maybe that they run xp) to exclude them from the event handler. trouble is if you want to monitor them for other critical events !

fwiw

Jason Salgado
Regular Advisor

I don't care if they are monitored or not. I only need to monitor servers, not workstations.
If the workstations get picked up because they are in the ip range, that is fine, i just don't want them to send email notifications.
The problem is, the workstations are being reported as "servers" so they show in the "server status polling list". if I change that, the servers will not report then.
marsh_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi,

in your event handler you can opt for criteria that you specify rather than a collection - so you could have all systems type = server that do not contain string xp in the os ?
or create a new collection that does not include xp and change your event handler to use that, this is not affecting your ping address range.

hth

Jason Salgado
Regular Advisor

This is what I had set:

Task name: All Servers Email to Jason and Matt
Owner: domain\user
Time filter: None defined
Events:
severity is Critical
severity is Major
severity is Normal

System collection: All Servers
system type is Server

Action(s):
Send e-mail

This is what I am going to try:
Task name: All Servers Reporting - Test
Owner: domain\user
Time filter: None defined
Events:
severity is Critical
severity is Major
severity is Normal

Systems:
operating system is not does not contain Microsoft Windows XP Professional
system name is not does not start with w

Action(s):
Send e-mail

Martin Smoral
Trusted Contributor

I think you can go to the properties page of the device (the XP workstation) and force it to change the Device type from server to workstation and also make it permanent. That way the server polling task will not hit your Xp Workstations
Jason Salgado
Regular Advisor

Oh, I didn't know that. Yes that does work as well.
If I change them to "workstation" then they show up under "clients" on the main menu and not servers. That would probably work too. The problem with doing that is, when new workstations get put in place, I would have to manually force them to a workstation type, but that would probably work too.

Thanks everyone for the help!!!
Martin Smoral
Trusted Contributor

How about assigning points if the responses helped!
Jason Salgado
Regular Advisor

hey man, i'm a newb here. lol
Martin Smoral
Trusted Contributor

That's great. But if you want people to help you with future questions, they are more likely too if you have assigned points to the answers you have received in past.