108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

PMP - "The Database Communication Link has been lost. "

SOLVED
Go to solution
Matt Finnigan
Advisor

PMP - "The Database Communication Link has been lost. "

OK, I started with a SIM 5.1 install a few weeks ago, and was unable to get PMP running. Whenever I tried to click on the PF column entries, I got the error "The Database Communication Link has been lost. Please close the browser." I've upgraded to the latest SIM from the new Insight Control DVD, and uninstalled PMP and did a standalone install from the DVD. I'm using remote SQL, and I see the new PMP database is created on the server properly. I'm still getting this error however.

I'd post the installer logs, but this directory is empty:
C:\Program Files\hp\Performance Management Pack\Installer Files
4 REPLIES 4
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: PMP - "The Database Communication Link has been lost. "

To get PMP to log errors, create a file pmplog.txt in the PMP directory, e.g.
C:\Program Files\HP\Performance Management Pack 4\
You don't need to stop /start PMP, but for a nice clean log you might want to stop PMP, create the file and then start it.
To stop logging just rename the file at any time.
Matt Finnigan
Advisor

OK, good to know. It shows that I'm not getting allowed a connection to the MS SQL database. I've now added the SIM service account that I created, as db_owner to the PMP and Insight databases. Was there an install step I could have missed, or otherwise misconfigured?

This appears to have done it, by the way. But I'm bothered by the fact that I may have missed something in the install, when I tried to go right by the book.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

PMP is usually installed as part of the HPSIM install. It typically uses the same credentials as the HPSIM database.
There's not normally another step unless you had a pre-existing implementation with a PMP database that had different credentials.
Tim Everest

I have a similar issue. I am using a remote SQL server instance and like Matt, have now added the HPSIM account to the DB users. The error I am getting in the log shows no user name though. Any ideas?

--- excerpt from log

PPADatabaseInterface - OpenGlobalConnection failed
OpenGlobalConnection failed.
Error = 5
Message = Unspecified Error
Description = Login failed for user ''. The user is not associated with any trusted SQL Server connection

---

Thanks in advance