3124 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Version Control Agent and Systems Management Homepage - Problems

shocko
Honored Contributor

Version Control Agent and Systems Management Homepage - Problems

Guys,
I'd be interested to see what other admins think of the version control agent/systems management homepage interaction. Ii my experience, they don't play well together. I have most of my servers running proliant support pack 8.60 i.e.

VCA - 6.2.0.860
SMH - 6.2.0.13

The agents themselves are at 8.60 but it seems that vca does not use SNMP for detection in this version but uses hpdiscovery, hponfcfg for ilo detection etc. This adds to the time for detection.

On most of my servers, if you browse to the SMH, the link for VCA will not be present of you will get6 a timeout warning and the link will not be presetn after accepting it. Furthermore, the solution is to increase the uitimeout for SMH but this has the side effect of ncreasing the wait whilst clicking ion non vca links!

I'd like to see what HP thin about this as the performance of VCA and SMH can't be as intended as it simply doesn't work. You normally have to browse directly to the vca link in my experience.
If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
3 REPLIES 3
P Glickenhaus
Occasional Contributor

I had to manually remove and re-install the VCAgent.

I have had a lot of timeout issues and vcagent issues since sim 6.1.

The process was recommended by an HP tech.

Paul
Calvin Staples
Frequent Advisor

I have the same experience and it doesn't matter how old or new my SMH and VCA are, though I think it is worse on the newer versions. I have to restart the VCA Service to get it to come up in the SMH. When I have a window of downtime to do updates (not easy to get in a hospital) most of my time is wasted trying to get VCA to cooperate so I can install updates, and then even though I have checked the automatic reboot, I have to reboot manually many times. After the reboot, the VCA times out again and here we go again. It will typically take over an hour to update the firmware and drivers using VCA because of its (and SMH) sluggish and non-working conditions.
shocko
Honored Contributor

Yes, i agree that its actaully getting slower with the latest releases! It seems to keep a cached copy of the comparision pages which i just normally browse to directly. I wish HP a would address this as it would save so much hassle. I like to use it to update drivers etc but you end up wasting time getting vca to work first before you can deploy! Annoying :(
If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)