1756511 Members
3129 Online
108848 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Vmware Guest - Disk Thresholds

kjetil hvarnes
Occasional Contributor

Vmware Guest - Disk Thresholds

I am getting an error when I try to set disk threshold on a vmware guest OS.
The OS is Windows 2003.
the error is: "Could not set the disk threshold, the agent did not accept the request."
Since this is a vmware guest the hp agents are not installed, insted the Hpsim is relaying on Wmi. I have verified that Hpsim can read Wmi on the machine.
Any clues to why this is not possible?

Regards
Kjetil
9 REPLIES 9
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Disk thresholds are a feature of the Insight agents. WMI does not have a similar capability on its own.
kjetil hvarnes
Occasional Contributor

Ahha...no wonder it did not work
Thanks for the reply

Regards
K
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

It would be nice to have this functionality either via VMM or some kind of VM Guest Agent.

dave rowland_2
Advisor

Not having disk thresholds or reporting on a Virtual guest machine is a real problem, even having bought the proliant virtual machine essentials pack no such feature exists. I see this as a real basic requirement for managing any server estate. Any ideas how we can get such functionality; im sure im not alone....
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Disk thresholds are a high priority feature for a future version of VMM. Please note that reporting on disk used in a VM is currently possible.
dave rowland_2
Advisor

any idea of a release date for the vvm disk threshold; also how do you report on VM disks? is an agent required on the VM guest, if so which one

Thanks
maxinglis

Anyone know if this issue is addressed in VMM 2.1? I have ESX 3.0.1 and SIM agent 7.7.0 installed on a number of hosts, but although I can view the disk usage on the guest machines, I can't seem to set thresholds.

Is there another way to monitor this?
Ranganath
Occasional Advisor

setting Disk thresholds is not possible in VMM 2.1. This requirement is there on the roadmap.

-Ranga
maxinglis

Hrm. I have this information in Virtual Machine Configuration Details:

Virtual Disk (scsi:0:0) pstconvert01.vmdk
Location /vmfs/volumes/vmstaging01/pstconvert01/
Mode Persistent
Capacity 0.00 Bytes (0.00 Bytes Unused)

I have VMM 2.1 and PSP7.7.0 on this ESX box, and the host registered, etc... but this information isn't populated - is it coming in the next version, or do I have something misconfigured?

Thanks
Max.