1757087 Members
1974 Online
108858 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Windows 2003 SP1 issue?

Nancy Kafer
Frequent Advisor

Windows 2003 SP1 issue?

Has anyone seen a problem where Windows Server 2003 SP1 servers do not report all information from the insight management agents? I have one server that is running version 7.00 of the agent and another that is running 7.50A. Neither server is reporting all system information (array controller, physical disk, etc...) from the insight management agent.

Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8
Numy
Frequent Advisor

Hi Nancy, are you seeing this in SIM or from the SMH? If you can quickly detail how you are seeing that info just so I duplicate what you are doing that would help a lot.

I know that for a while there was an issue with the SMH and if you had a version control repository agent configured that wasn't available it would blank out the right view of basically all the components. To work around we had to stop the version control agent service on the machine and restart the SMH until we had our version control repository working again.
Nancy Kafer
Frequent Advisor

I see it when I run reports. However I also can look at the SMH and am missing information. For example, one of the servers in question has the same hardware as a machine that is reporting correctly. Both machines have the same Smart Array 5i controller. When I run the array report my Win 2003 SP1 server doesn't show up.

The other server that is having issues (version 7.0 of the agent) is missing information on the SMH (as well as not showing up on reports). For example, when I open the Insight Management Agent page for this server my system board shows a condition of "unknown". When I click on the system board link none of the information from the system board is filled in. I am attaching a screen shot of this.

Thanks.
Numy
Frequent Advisor

Thanks, one more clarifying question, when you say "reporting" do you mean through Survey or do you mean through SIM Reporting? Apologies for the 20 questions but there are so many ways to get to the same type of data that I want to be able to understand what you are looking at.

I did see the screen shot from the SMH though and that does seem strange although I have seen that before and in a lot of cases I have had to reinstall the agents to fix the problem. (Might have been drastic but it works.)
Craig McK
Trusted Contributor

Hi Nancy,

Just to confirm, do you have all 3 areas of the SNMP service filled in? (Trap Destination, Community Names & Accept SNMP Packets from localhost/SIM)
Nancy Kafer
Frequent Advisor

By reporting I mean the Manage reports in SIM. I verified the SNMP settings I had setup on both servers. On the server that is running version 7.50A of the agents I had to change one of my community strings to READ CREATE instead of READ WRITE. I also added this community string to the the "traps" tab. All other settings were fine. I re-ran the data collection on this server and now this server is showing up on all applicable reports.

I verified the SNMP settings on my other server and they are fine so I am going to try to load the newest agent on my other server (currently running version 7.0) and re-run the data collection on that server.

I'll post my findings.

Thanks for the help so far.

Wayne Lance
Occasional Advisor

I've seen the same kind of thing with some of my agents. Various component statuses would be missing from SMH and so, of course, not reporting in SIM. In fact, there have been several cases where an agent was properly gathering that data before then at some point stopped getting it. I've only seen this behavior with the 7.10 version of the Insight Management Agent. The first one I've upgraded to 7.41 has fixed the problem there, so I'm planning to upgrade the rest. I would expect the if you get current on your agents and verify your SNMP, you should be OK.
Wim Panhorst
Advisor

Hej Nancy, I had a likely problem with a DL320 G4 server, and it turned out that that particular server was not supported by the insight management agents. Did you check whether your failing servers are supported?
Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor

Nancy, first of all you have to use supported (with W2K3 SP1) version of HP Management Agents - 7.30A+ :
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00208463/c00208463.pdf
Read carefully doc mentioned above, I think it can help you.

regards,
Andrzej Kowalik