Servers - General
1753767 Members
5450 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

RT3000 UPS input current much higher than output current ?

KennyGotKilled
Visitor

RT3000 UPS input current much higher than output current ?

Hello,

I bought a new  HP RT3000 G2 UPS UPS LI RT3000  which has a bunch of servers attached. What i noticed in HP Power Protector is that the Input current is always 0.9 to 1.0 Amps higher that the output current.

What i mean is, at this very moment, output current is 2.9 A  and the Input current is 3.9.

THe battery state is "resting"

Load level is at 20%

Battery capacity is at 99%   (in never ever reaches 100% ).

Why does the UPS take an entire 1A just for itself ? I mean, sure it has a onboard fan and a logic board but 230W (1A at 230V) ???

When i first bought it, it came earlier than the rack so i hooked it up just for "first time charging" purposes for a few days. I then reached 100%.

That is also the state i turned it off and stored it until the rack came in and i could start building and racking the servers.

Since it's power-on in the rack, the battery capacity never reached 100% anymore. Is it "constantly charging" (even though it says "resting" and therefore consuming an entire 1 A (230W) just for itself ?

The firmware is  "01.04.0020;01.02.0004"

3 REPLIES 3
Ali
HPE Pro

Re: RT3000 UPS input current much higher than output current ?

Hi,

You may recondition the battery by discharging it completely then charge it on standby mode. Check whether it gives 100% charge status.

Generally, when batteries become older they give less backup time and that's the indication of battery life. when this number goes down by 30-40% then its time to change the battery.

Hope this helps,

How to say thanks... Click on Star Kudos

Cheers!

Aftab

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base – Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Ali
HPE Pro

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01735902/c01735902.pdf

how to say Thanks... Click on Star Kudos

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base – Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

KennyGotKilled
Visitor

Hi Aftab,

I'm very aware of battery-aging and it's effects but the UPS is brand new (as i wrote).

It's running production so putting it in standby mode to recharge is not an option. There is no bypass options (to route mains-power directy to the outlets, bypassing the battery and charger).