108858 Solutions
New Discussion

Recommend 4 Port KVM for K 380 and D Class

SOLVED
Go to solution
Robert S. White
Advisor

Recommend 4 Port KVM for K 380 and D Class

I would like to purchase a couple of KVM switches for some K series and D series 9000s. I am worried that the 3 button mouse will have problems or the X Windows display will not work.
Can anyone recommend a couple boxes (or type of box) that I should look at? 

P.S> This thread has been moved from Servers > Planning to Servers > general - Hp Forum Moderator

Computers are just external storage for my brain.
4 REPLIES 4
curt larson_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Recommend 4 Port KVM for K 380 and D Class

First, I'd verified that the systems had video cards. Usually, the K's and D's don't have a video card and just make use of a rs-232 ascii character console. And, if you're using rs-232 terminals as consoles, you don't really need a kvm, a simple 25 pin rs-232 switch box will work just fine.
Floyd Curtis
Frequent Advisor

FWIW, I am using a 2 port by IOGEAR to switch between Linux/Pavillion and an HP workstation. Some of the KVMS do not work with more than 2 button mouses. Linux sees the 3 button/wheel mouse fine and the HP workstation ignores it as expected.

From what I have seen however, HP support of KVM's and Switch Boxes is generally not recommeded - I believe some of the earlier Servers expect to find a console attached at all times in case they need to send an error message to it.

good luck,
fwc

A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

This one works well with workstations so I expect it to work for your K & D boxes. There is actually a configuration for the mouse and keyboard settings for OS's (and HP-UX is one of them).

http://www.minicom.com/kvm_smart24.htm

I'm old school so I still like to see dedicated terminals used as console for servers whether or not you also have graphics.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Robert S. White
Advisor

The D boxes have video cards installed. I am planning on getting a video card for the K box. I have a console terminal on it, but would still like to see how it reacts to having a graphics card attached via a KVM.
Computers are just external storage for my brain.