9090 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Package in package configuration

Coen Meerbeek
Occasional Advisor

Package in package configuration

I am a developer for HP uCMDB.
Out-of-the-box the uCMDB discovers the packages returned by the cmviewcl -v command. The customer I am currently working on has declared mutliple Disk/IPs/subnets in the package controle file and so assigned packages in packages.
I don't have much HP ServiceGuard experience but can someone explain to me how you can have packages in packages?
Maybe there is someone who can explain how can I discover the names of the packages defined in the cntl file?

Thanks in advance.
10 REPLIES 10
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

>The customer I am currently working on has declared mutliple Disk/IPs/subnets in the package controle file and so assigned packages in packages.

No, this is just a single package using multiple resources, as designed.
A package can have up to 200 relocatable IP addresses if I recall, or that may have been increased, and it can use multiple subnets.
It can use multiple Volume Groups, or Disk Groups

Their is no such thing as a package within a package.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Coen Meerbeek
Occasional Advisor

OK thanks for the quick reply.
So if I understand you correctly the match between IP and DNS name is only configured in the DNS server?
nijokj
Trusted Contributor

As melvyn's post there is nothing like package in package. cmviewcl -v will give you output of what are the packages running on cluster and the available resources. Your customer may be added some resource like IP ,volume,mountpoint. in package controlfile. each package will have a directory inside /etc/cmcluster/ directory. This dir wil contain pkg control and configuration file.
Ismail Azad
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Coen,

"Package" should not be confused with a software or something as are in some other operating systems and should not be confused with a "product" or a "bundle" for that matter... "Package" in HPUX terms is always related to HP serviceguard and has normally nothing to do with a "software as a whole" that is shipped with a DVD.

Every disk resource may it be your VG or disk groups depending on the partitioning approach... Your "network resources" which would include the IP addreses and "services" generated by some command in the script all group into one entity called as a PACKAGE. So the things you mentioned disks/IPs etc are one single thing and the package like a JFS transaction would be "atomic".... It is the whole "package" that failsover when there is a failure. And "entities that are atomic" cannot have the "entity within the entity" or what i mean to say is you can't have a package within a package.

Welcome to ITRC.

Regards
Ismail Azad
Read, read and read... Then read again until you read "between the lines".....
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

So if I understand you correctly the match between IP and DNS name is only configured in the DNS server?

>>> If your meaning resolution, then that could also be referenced in the /etc/hosts file. And depending on the nsswitch.conf file resolution may first go to hostfile and then to DNS to resolve.

I'm thinking if uCMDB is that universal mangement database thing-ee, maybe it needs to learn service guard first.

Regards,
Rita
INH
Regular Advisor

Hi,

# cmviewcl -v <- will give you the detailed output of cluster / package

Rgds,
INH
Knowledge is power
Coen Meerbeek
Occasional Advisor

Don't offend the uCMDB ;-)

It discovers HP Servier Guard with cmviewcl -v very well!
We want to group the IP and Disk together to a logical unit, my phrase package is not OK as I understand now.

You have given me every information I need.
Thanks a lot. Will be back here more often.
Turgay Cavdar
Honored Contributor

Hi,
cmviewcl -f line -v output may be helpfull for you to see ip address of the package.

#cmviewcl -f line -v | grep package| grep ip_address
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Sorry, no intent to offend...just playful jesting :)

Rita