1752272 Members
5490 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: FAST FAILOVER GROUP on HP3800 using ONOS

cialo
Occasional Visitor

FAST FAILOVER GROUP on HP3800 using ONOS

I'm trying to control a switch HP3800 (firmware KA.16.01.0006) using ONOS controller. I succeded to install flow entries and also group entries of type ALL. 

However, I'm experiencing problems installing flow entries of type FAST FAILOVER. When controller sends OFPT_GROUP_MOD message the switch corretly receives it, but it replies with the following error:

- OFPT_ERROR (OF0x04) (xid=0x5cc7a): OFPGMFC_WATCH_UNSUPPORTED

That should mean watchport or watchgroup field is set to a not supported value. I read on the switch documentation that: "Watch_group MUST always be set to OFPG_ANY for all the group types".

So, at the controller I set watch_group to OFPG_ANY (0xffffffff). However, the switch generates the same error. 

Can you help... ?

Best Regards,

alessio

2 REPLIES 2
ShaunWackerly
HPE Pro

Hi alessio,

In the 16.03 firmware, the debug output for OpenFlow was greatly enhanced to provide more detailed reasons when a flow/group mod message is rejected. The first step I'd recommend would be to upgrade to KA.16.03.xxxx and enable debugging on the console with "debug destination session" and "debug openflow". Once those are enabled, if a group-mod message is rejected, you should see some detailed output which (among other things) gives a reason why the group-mod was rejected.

Also, would you be able to post the JSON you're using to update the group, or the watch_port value are you sending in the group-mod?

Shaun

I am an HPE Employee
cialo
Occasional Visitor

Dear Shaun,

thank you for reply. Using wireshark we have seen that the problem is not at the switch level but in the ONOS controller.

Indeed, also if the REST interface is configured to send to the controller a watch group equal to OFPG_ANY  the controller sends the watch_group field equal to zero. So the switch correctly refuses the group.

We will work to fix this issue at the controller.

alessio