5676 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Creating new pool on MSA 2040

DrivingIT
Occasional Visitor

Creating new pool on MSA 2040

Hi all, 

We just purchased a new MSA 2040 with a group of the drives being 15K SAS and the other being 400GB SSD. When creating the pool for the 15K SAS drives, everything went fine, but when creating the pool for the SSD, we got an error stating that we need a performance tier license in order to proceed. After reading online about what this license does, we don't need the auto sub-lun function. 

My question is, is there a way to just create a disk array for the SSD? When I add the disk group, I'm creating it under pool B. Does/Can it go into pool A and can it be created as a different raid level group from the 15K group?

3 REPLIES 3
giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Re: Creating new pool on MSA 2040

Hi

when you create a disk group you must create a pool if the disk group is virtual there can only be two virtual pools A and B

a virtual pool can contain many virtual disk groups but they are all considered as one storage space.

so if you are using virtual disk groups and don't want to use tiering you must create two pools one for the SAS drives and one for the SSD drives.

if you want to use linear disk groups you are not limited by number of pools but linear disk groups have other limitations

you can find information in HP MSA 2040 SMU Reference Guide

http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c04220794

hope this help

Regards

Give a Kudo if you liked

DrivingIT
Occasional Visitor

Hi giladzzz,

Thank you for your response.

Per your response, I tried to create a separate pool for the SSD's, but I received the following error (see attached file).

Is the only way around this is to purchase the performance tier license?

giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

try and create a linear disk group (and pool)

Regards

Give a Kudo if this helps