108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

6250 External not transporting tape inside

iandoug
Occasional Advisor

6250 External not transporting tape inside

Hi

Further to my adventures here

https://community.hpe.com/t5/storeever-tape-storage/how-to-remove-plastic-casing-from-ultrium-6250-half-height/m-p/7095687#M56728

The drive is reassembled, but not working. After boot, the "Drive" light is flashing. If I try to insert a tape, the machine does not take it and transport it inside.

I used the Tape Tool software, Some tests want a tape, I don't really have a spare tape and don't want to have to do the whole manual remove tape exercise again.

Here are some test results:

- Test 'Device Self Test' started on device 'HP Ultrium 6-SCSI' at address '0.4.0[0-/dev/sg0]'
- Analysis Results
- Device Self test version: V10.02.2015
- Operations Log
- Performing Device Self Test
- Performing Device Self Test
- 1 times device self test passed in Loop based count
- Last device self test passed in loop based count
- Test Passed.

- Test 'Device Analysis' started on device 'HP Ultrium 6-SCSI' at address '0.4.0[0-/dev/sg0]'
- Operations Log
- analyzing device data...
- updating device writeback data...
-
- Analysis Results
- version: V27.08.2019
- Firmware rev 338D is out-of-date for Ultrium 6-SCSI as of Tue Nov 1 19:00:00 2016; update to rev 35GD.
- Rule 1.1 (Fatal Reel Fault/Same cartridge):
- There are indications of problems controlling a cartridge (s/n ) in the drive.
- However, the cartridge has not been changed since the last occurrence.
- Please try a new cartridge.
- Rule 7.15 (Mechanism Sensor/Push load):
- The drive logs contain indications of problems with push loading a cartridge.
- Please try using a different cartridge.
- If this drive is in a library, the library may be having problems loading a cartridge.
- Please run further tests on the library.
- Use HP/HPE branded storage media.
- Please run the LTO Drive Assessment Test to check the operation of your drive.
- There were 21 rules and 144 subrules checked.
- Device Analysis completed, and warnings have been reported.

I tried inserting a different tape but the machine does still not seem to want to grab and load it. Maybe I need to push it in a little further but it always felt as if the machine took control of the tape before it was completely inserted.

If I do the "unload" test it tries to unload a non-existent cartrdge,  Surely the drive should first (optically/mechanically) confirm that there IS a cartridge in the drive?

Anyway it seems to have forgotten about the stuck tape already:

- Test 'LTO Stuck Tape Test' started on device 'HP Ultrium 6-SCSI' at address '0.4.0[0-/dev/sg0]'
- Analysis Results
- LTO Stuck Tape Test, version V05.08.2015
- Firmware rev 338D is out-of-date for 'Ultrium 6-SCSI' as of Tue Nov 1 19:00:00 2016; update to rev '35GD'
- HISTORICAL INFORMATION (based on internal drive logs):
- version: V27.08.2019
- There were 2 rules and 21 subrules checked.
- TEST RESULTS:
- The test is unable to determine the current status of the drive.
- There is no historical evidence of problems unloading a cartridge.
- Operations Log
- starting test...
- sending unload command...
- allowing media removal...
- sending unload command...
- analyzing device data...

Okay, so after all of that, is this something I can fix or do I need to take it to a service agent?

Thanks, Ian

3 REPLIES 3
Lijo_AJ
HPE Pro

Re: 6250 External not transporting tape inside

Hi Ian,

As you have mentioned that the Drive LED is flashing after the boot, it means: The drive mechanism has detected an error.

So you can try the following:

Power cycle the drive ( Power off, disconnect the power cable and reconnect it after a min or two. Power it back on)

If the issue persist even after a power cycle, then the issue is most likely a mechanical failure which will need service. In that case, you will have to engage support to proceed.

Gans_Tapes
HPE Pro

Hello @iandoug,

Looking the output you posted here's an indicator of the issue:

- Rule 1.1 (Fatal Reel Fault/Same cartridge):
- There are indications of problems controlling a cartridge (s/n ) in the drive.
- However, the cartridge has not been changed since the last occurrence.
- Please try a new cartridge.
- Rule 7.15 (Mechanism Sensor/Push load):
- The drive logs contain indications of problems with push loading a cartridge.
- Please try using a different cartridge.

Additionally, the fact that the Drive LED light is flashing on means Drive has encountered a fault. Here's the guide to the LED codes for Ultrium 6250 drive https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c05170118 

Are you able to inspect the tape for physical damage?  If the tape is physically deformed or if the leader pin is missing/bent out of alignment, it is not recommended to re-use the same in the drive. This drive would need service hence you may open a case to get the drive replaced if there is an active support contract.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

iandoug
Occasional Advisor

Hi

Sorry for delayed response... too much happening at the same time.

I shouid have been more precise with my terminology ... it's not the tape that's the problem, it's the action where the drive grabs the cartridge and transports it inside. I may have pushed it a ittie too firmly the last few times.

Also, the environment is dusty, I see there is some dust buildup on the guide tracks. Is the "tape present" detection system mechanical or optical?

I normally use an electric blower to clean out dusty computers but don't know if that is wise with the recording head involved. I could try cleaning the tracks with cotton buds and surgical spirits, but need to know if I must locate an optical sensor somewhere...

I have tried changing tapes as well as various things with the Tape Tool software.

Thanks, Ian