"4/1.5.0":"4/1.7.0":"":0:Tape:HP:Ultrium 1-SCSI:12:E00P
"4/1.7.0":"":"":0:HBA:mraid2k:SCSI Adapter:0:
"4/2.15.0":"4/2.7.0":"":0:Unknown: RAID: DummyDevice:0:0000
"4/2.7.0":"":"":0:HBA:mraid2k:SCSI Adapter:0:
"4/3.0.0":"4/3.7.0":"":0:Disk:MEGARAID: LD 0 RAID 5:0:
"4/3.7.0":"":"":0:HBA:mraid2k:SCSI Adapter:0:

If we go back to the Scan tab and look at the show details we see this:
Searching for drives of Library 'HP ThinStor AutoLdr' at address '4/1.0.0'
Library at address 4/1.0.0 reports error (I/O Exception (Error: 2101 - I/O: request timed out)), drive search skipped

Now if we go back to By Product and try to click on 'HP ThinStor AutoLdr' or 'HP Ultrium 1-SCSI' we get the following pop-up error message: "An error occurred while the diagnostic function was started for the selected device. See the Event Log for details (accessible via the 'File' menu)."

What have we done wrong?
6 REPLIES 6
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Re: An Error Occurred... L&TT for storageworks vs80 1/8 autoloader

If you are runnong win 2k make sure the removable storage is stopped in services and also stop any backup software services you have running
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
Chase Casanova

Yes, running Win2k Server. RSM is disabled, and Veritas BackupExec services are stopped. Still get the same error message.
CA628575
Trusted Contributor

If you get the message I/O request timed out, then the device didn't respond to a command L&TT tried to send it.

On Windows in NT Miniport I/O mode the initial scan information is obtained from the HBA driver, not by talking to the device. So it is possible to see devices that for some reason no longer respond to commands.

Typical causes are either devices that are hung, have been changed to a different SCSI address without the OS noticing it, or problems with the SCSI cabling.

The second error message occurs when you select the device based on the outdated scan information and L&TT tries to talk to the device, but can't.

L&TT Team
Chase Casanova

I am really starting to suspect the cabling. But I don't understand how the OS can detect the drive, but still have problems communicating with it.

We tried to load the Veritas drivers for drive and it would not replace the HP driver for the changer/loader. So since BackupExec could "see" the drive itself, we manually loaded a tape from slot1 and tried to inventory the tape with BackupExec, but to no avail. BE said that the device was busy so the inventory action stayed in the queued position.

Also after we manually loaded the tape, the display read "Drive stopped" Is that what should be displayed?
Chase Casanova

It appears that there was something wrong with trying to use our MegaRAID card's external VHD plug with a compatible cable for the tape drive. We got an HD-68 internal-to-external adapter for one of our on-board motherboard SCSI controllers and plugged the drive into it with the cable that came with the drive. It works like a champ now.

Why can't we use the VHD connection on the back of our AMI MegaRAID Elite 1600 card? All of the specs check out. Could it be a communication speed negotiation issue?
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Chase, we do not recommend that you attach tapes drives to RAID controllers. see more information at hp.com/support/pat I also see you have firmware E00P on this unit. I recommend you use LTT and upgrade to newest E030
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"