2944 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

C1537A Not a tape drive.

CA892717
Occasional Advisor

C1537A Not a tape drive.

Here's a strange one:
We have a C1537A running on Windows 2000 Advanced server. The server had to be re-booted recently. When it came back up, the tape drive was no longer available.

Investigating further, it's now listed in device manager as 'Device C1537A SCSI CD-ROM'. HP Tape tools is also picking it up as the same device. Tried removing and re-detecting the drive in device manager but to no avail.

I suspect the firmware on the drive is damaged (L111) but I'd like to know if anyone else has any suggestions.
8 REPLIES 8
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: C1537A Not a tape drive.

Please attach LTT support ticket zipped
Eugeny
CA892717
Occasional Advisor

I can't generate a LTT ticket since Library & Tape Tools is also treating the drive as a CD-ROM and is subsequently claiming it's unsupported.
It wasn't last week.

Here's the info from the device information page:

Manufacturer: HP
Product ID: C1537A
Description: CD_ROM
Firmware Revision: L111
SCSI Port Number: 3/0
SCSI Target ID: 6
SCSI LUN: 0
Driver: \\.\Cdrom0
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Did you try to reflash with L111? If it will not succeed, then I do not think we'll be able to fix this issue. Maybe trying another machine/SCSI adapter (Adaptec 2940)/cables/terminator(s). But I think there's something wrong happened to drive's hardware. There was LTT team e-mail address posted in the forum, try searthing for it (something like team_ltt@hp.com or ltt_team@hp.com) and contacting them
Eugeny
jon sellers_1

It sounds to me like the drive is in OBDR (one button disaster recovery) mode. There isn't anything wrong with the drive, this mode just allows the drive to emulate a (bootable) CD-ROM. The drive is put into this state by power cycling with the eject button pressed. When the drive is in this state the two front panel LEDs should alternately flash. To get it back to "normal" you just have to power cycle or reset the drive. You can reset the drive by pressing and holding the eject button for a few seconds but you may still have to reboot the server to get the OS to recognise the device as a tape drive again.
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Hi Jon,
thanks a lot! You gave us very valuable information!
Eugeny
CA892717
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for all your help.

Power-cycled the drive but it didn't help. It looks like a hardware/firmware issue and I can't re-flash so we'll be replacing the drive. Thanks for your help!

Matt
BR664511
Advisor

CA843380
Valued Contributor

Matthew,

Did you also power cycle the server after power cycling the drive as Jon suggested?

I would hate to have the drive exchanged if there is nothing wrong with it.

Cheers,

Dave Dewar.