3304 Online
108846 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Compaq 40/80 DLT does'n start

CA1102676
Advisor

Compaq 40/80 DLT does'n start

Hi all,
I have a Compaq 40/80 DLT external tape. When I turn it on the light indicator "Tape in use" flashes (with frequency one flash/second) and after several minutes, when it is suspected "Operate handle" light to be green, all the lights on the right side ("write protected", "tape in use", "use cleaning tape" and "operate handle") are flashing rapidly and this situation is repeated from the begining. So "Tape in use" light is flashing and so on.
I had another tape before having the same problem and I replaced it by this new one. And in two weeks this new tape got the same problem.
Help me please on this issue.
Thank you in advance
Mikel.
6 REPLIES 6
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Re: Compaq 40/80 DLT does'n start

Mikel, ( If your O/S supports it)you can download the Library and Tape Tools diagnostic from this site to test your drive, upgrade firmware etc. I suspect you have a dropped leader. If it is in waranty you can get it replaced, if not we can send a doc that will show you how to rethred the leader if that is the case.

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/ltt/index.html
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
CA1102676
Advisor

Hello Mr. Finch ,
I think this is a hardware problem and not a firmaware problem or something like this. I will download the diagnostic software, but anyway please send me this documentation you described me.

Thank you and Best regards
Mikel.
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Here you go,

http://search.hp.com/gwuseng/query.html?submit.x=6&submit.y=8&qt=lpg50338+&la=en&col=hpcom+ccen+ccenfor
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
CA1102676
Advisor

So you think that the best is to send the part back to HP, as this is a part under warranty. Is it right?
Nick White_1

Mike,

This problem is a hardware problem.

The handle has been allowed to slam up or down and therefore has dislodged the lead tape off of the guide hook in the drive.

Remedy: If in warranty send back to vendor.
If out of warranty and you feel you are happy in taking the case off your self then email and I will guide you through the process.
CA1102676
Advisor

Hello Nick,
I sent it back to the vendor, thank you for the help.

Mikel.