1756277 Members
2486 Online
108843 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Firmware upgrade C1533A

BR687598

Firmware upgrade C1533A

Hi,
I have a C1533A DDS-2 DAT. It is not possible to use DDS-2 8GB (C5707A) cartridge. The "HP Library & Tape Tools" means I need the new Revision of Firmware 9608(current = 9503). If I start the funktion "Update firmware" (in HP Library & Tape Tools) comes the message: "Firmware update FAILED!"
I have Windows 2000 Professional.
Maybe somebody can help me?

Georg

11 REPLIES 11
CA628575
Trusted Contributor

Re: Firmware upgrade C1533A

Even though HP Library & Tape Tools reported the firmware as 'FAILED', the upgrade may still have taken place.

On Windows 2000 the device manager (Plug & Play) interferes with the firmware update process sometimes causing L&TT to call out an update as failed.

The reason is that L&TT tries to verify that the device was successfully updated. However, the device manager can make the drive temporarily unaccessible, in which case L&TT is unable to verify the success and shows the message you saw.

We've implemented some improvements for this situation in LTT 2.7 SR4 (better communication with the device manager, and an improved error message).

Please re-run LTT and see what your current firmware is now.

If you continue to have problems with the firmware update, you can send a tool status report (Help menu in L&TT) to ltt_team@hp.com. Please also inlcude the EventLog.ltt files in the logs folder of your LTT installation.
BR687598

Hi Jan
thanks for your help, but it does??nt work. I will send a email to HP

Georg
Djoni

Where did you find this firmware ?
CA785754
Advisor

HAVE HAD SIMILAR PROBLEMS WITH EXABYTE "EXPERT" . WHEN DOWN FLASHING FIRMWARE, I USE A DEDICATED MACHINE WITH IDE HDD AND NOTHING EXTRA ON THE SCSI BUS. FIRMWARE DOWN LOADS FAILED WHEN OTHER DEVICES WERE PRESENT.
SUGGEST THE C1533 BE THE ONLY DEVICE ON BUS.
HAVE FLASHED 9608 WITH NO PROBLEMS USING TAPE TOOLS UNDER WIN98. ONLY OTHER THING THAT WOULD CAUSE FAIL WOULD BE STOPPING OPERATION BEFORE COMPLETION.
Don't fix what ain't broke!
CA788093
Occasional Advisor

I found f/w version A907 here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?locale=en_US&locBasepartNum=co541en&prodName=HP+DAT8+firmware+for+Library+and+TapeToolsтМй=English+%28American%29

Isn't this more current than f/w ver 9608?

[Moderator edit: Removed the broken link. Please refer to https://support.hpe.com/]

BR687598

Hi Djoni,
I found the firmware with the "HP Library & Tape Tools" Program.
Sorry for long time to answer
Georg

BR687598

Hi Elliot,
thanks, I will try it with another PC under WIN98.
Georg

CA713937
Honored Contributor

There are two different versions of the C1533A product.

One was labeled: JetStore/ SureStore 6000i/e.

The other is the SureStore Dat8i/e.

These products have slightly different hardware, and thus use different firmware. The latest firmware for the 6000 is 9608, and for the Dat8 it is A907.

The only functional difference I'm aware of between these two products is the Dat8 product added basic tapealert support.
The journey IS the reward.
CA788093
Occasional Advisor

I have also been advised that there are two versions of the C1533A tape drive. The newer one is sometimes refered to as "C1536." It is easy to distinguish between these two versions, by watching the way a tape cartridge is accepted into the mechanism. The cartridge is "lowered" into the mechanism in the case of the C1536, but not in the case of the older model C1533A.

I've been told the A907 f/w won't install to the older model. I own the older model, but I'm not about to try any upgrade beyond my current 9608 f/w.

"A907" stands for "Andronicus 1999 July," whereas "9608" stands for "1996 August." There exists a change in the naming convention between these two names.