1757083 Members
1902 Online
108858 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Colorado Travan 20GB External

CA1253227
Occasional Advisor

HP Colorado Travan 20GB External

I'm using a HP Colorado Travan 20GB External drive, running Windows 2000 Pro SP2. The drive installed fine, the backup software reckognizes is, but when I try to access the media I get an "Unrecoverable Hardware Error: 07-12-23-01-1502". This apparently refers to an IRQ problem, but I don't know exactly where the problem lies. I'm using HP Backup 9.0 (and Windows Media Player 9.0), and the latest Win2k drivers from HP's site. I tried installing the drive both before and after installing the backup software; nothing works. Can anyone help?
7 REPLIES 7
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Colorado Travan 20GB External

Keith, what kind of computer is this attached to?
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
CA1253227
Occasional Advisor

It is a Dell Dimension 8100 desktop, about 4 years old.
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

start with the BIOS. Make sure the parallel port is set to EPP or SPP, IRQ = 7, address = 0378
CA1253227
Occasional Advisor

The parallel port was already set to EPP, address 0378. I couldn't find an option for assigning IRQ numbers to non-PCI devices, only a place to make IRQ numbers "Reserved" or "Available." 7 was set Available, I tried Reserved too, but that did nothing. Any ideas on what to try next? Thanks a ton for your help.
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Keith, what tapes are you using with that device?
CA1253227
Occasional Advisor

It is a Travan tape by Imation. It has never worked for me, but I know it worked with this drive on one or two other computers.
CA1253227
Occasional Advisor

Do you think it will work if I install another operrating system, like Win98? I want to back up my files and then reformat my hard drive, so it doesn't matter if I temporarily clog up my system with another OS.