1756297 Members
2567 Online
108844 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

IDE/SCSI Dilemma

CA1022375

IDE/SCSI Dilemma

Hi,

I currently have a Kayak XU800. It has a 9GB SCSI drive, and is running W2K. I would like to migrate my wife's data and program files from her older PII PC also running W2K. It has a 3GB and 60GB IDE Drive, booting from the 3GB.

Can I disable the SCSI, and simply install the IDE drives? If so, How do I instruct the BIOS not to look for the SCSI controller at boot? Is there a way to ghost what is on her boot IDE to the SCSI drive? My objective is not to have to do extensive program re-installs and the requisite software updates.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, and might even keep me from having to sleep on the couch. Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
BR19682
Esteemed Contributor

Re: IDE/SCSI Dilemma

Hi there.
Be very careful, what you try to do.
You should be able to install the programs on your pc and transfer the data with a network connection, but are you sure, that this will all fit on your SCSI disk ?
;-)
Get some documentation from HP.

check this URL :

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/manualCategory.jhtml?lc=en&pagetype=manual&prodId=hpkayakxu866029&sw_lang=en

You will need the technical reference.
Yes, your mobo has connectors for IDE drives.
But be sure to do a backup before you start to play around.
I do not know, whether W2K will recognize a second bootable harddisk and show it in the start menu.
On my pc at home i have a bootable IDE disk and a bootable SCSI disk as a backup system.
But i use a different operating system.
So pls check things first.
Hope i could help
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
CA991047

Re: IDE/SCSI Dilemma

first off, MAKE A BACKUP of everything you have. if you dont you will have no recovery possibilities if something goes really bad.

second, don't make ANY changes using the fdisk or format programs

if you want to just move the IDE drives into the Hp, remove the SCSI drive first, install the IDE drives. go into setup and set the IDE as the primary drives, then attempt to boot from complete power off up to the IDE drives. it may not work since the IDE system is looking for an entirely different hardware set from the wifes old unit. make three boot attempts, as w2k may "self adjust" for the different hardware. have the install disks at hand, you may need them

you may then be able to just re-addin the scsi drive as a "third" disk but not use as the bootup drive.
Hey, It worked before!